Lost icing recipe, want to recreate.

Reaction score
I have lost a family recipe for chocolate cake and chocolate icing.
Frankly the cake was just average, so I've found an decent substitute. But that icing was extraordinary. Intensely chocolate with a very special texture when made right, but easy to mess up. When I got it right it dried on the cake with a matte finish and was quite hard on the surface, and a bit soft underneath. When I got it wrong it was glossy and insanely sticky. Either way, it had to be poured on a completely cooled cake and had to then be spread quickly.
I have found a video online where the cook has spread a little icing on wax paper to show its look and texture, which is pretty close to how I remember it.
Everything else in the demo seems right on too, except I made have used some Baker's unsweetened chocolate instead of cocoa powder. I'm just not sure.
The poster measures the temp of the cooking icing, shooting for 227F. My original recipe used the old ice water test, and I don't remember whether it called for soft or hard ball stage.
I don't' want to mess with the old ice water stuff. Does the temperature sound right? Also, I have a thermapen, hopefully won't need a candy thermometer.

Ask a Question