Macarons Cook Temp and Time

Discussion in 'Cookies' started by itsjess, Jan 11, 2018.

1. itsjess

itsjess New Member

Hello All,

I have made macarons 3 times, and each I get the feet, but they will be super hard. I have a conventional oven, and all the cook times I see are for fan forced or convection. I think I am overcooking them.

Can someone help me with the appropriate bake time and temp for a conventional oven? If it says bake at 350 for 12 minutes in convection, what would be the equivalent for conventional?

Thanks for your help!!

itsjess, Jan 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. itsjess

Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

The general rule is reduce the temperature by 25° if using a conventional oven for a recipe developed for a convection oven.

The type of cookie sheet you use will also affect baking. If it is a dark colored sheet, treated metal (e.g., non stick) it will transfer heat more intensely than a natural untreated metal. The only treated metal baking pans I use are bundt pans since they do not manufacture natural metal ones. Everything else gets baked with natural metal.

You never bake anything to time—you bake until done. A properly baked macaron will be firm to the touch, easily peel off the parchment, and have just a hint of moisture inside.

Stella Parks has several blog posts on macarons. Parks is a highly regarded pastry chef. She has baked thousands of macarons, so she’s very knowledgeable about the process.

http://bravetart.com/blog/TheTenCommandments

Norcalbaker59, Jan 12, 2018
    -Daniel- and itsjess like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question