Monkey Bread?

Reaction score
I was recently at a place in Chicago that had something called Monkey Bread, which I had never heard of before.

Wikipedia informs me that this is a 1950s American invention, and google shows a trillion recipes, a lot of them sweet instead of the savory I had.

Has anyone tried making this? It looks difficult, but I'm fascinated by it.

Reaction score
I am from that area near the Great Lakes and am trying to recall what Monkey Bread is. I heard the term many times and if I recall it was the sweet kind. What do you mean by savory?

Reaction score
I am from that area near the Great Lakes and am trying to recall what Monkey Bread is. I heard the term many times and if I recall it was the sweet kind. What do you mean by savory?

I mean as opposed to sweet. The bread I ate was cheese and chives, but a lot of the recipes I've found look almost like cinnamon rolls :)

Reaction score
Monkey Bread to me is bread, or biscuit dough, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, then placed into a bundt pan and baked. You then pull it apart to eat it. And, as you said, it would be sweet....but I like the sound of the savory, too. If you find recipes, please post them or the links! Maybe you can just wing it and end up coming up with something delicious??? Good luck!

Reaction score
Monkey Bread to me is bread, or biscuit dough, rolled in cinnamon and sugar, then placed into a bundt pan and baked. You then pull it apart to eat it. And, as you said, it would be sweet....but I like the sound of the savory, too. If you find recipes, please post them or the links! Maybe you can just wing it and end up coming up with something delicious??? Good luck!

Hah, winging it is my forte, so we'll see I guess :)

Reaction score
lately I have seen all types of recipes for monkey bread popping both sweet and savory. For the most part monkey bread is just yeast roll formed in to small balls and then coated with a mixture and baked in a bunt pan. Most of people use cinnamon brown sugar and butter to make traditional monkey bread.

Reaction score
Well, I tried it and it was a failure. Didn't cook properly all the way though, and overcooked in spots. I'm gonna blame my oven :p

Reaction score
Monkey bread but be trending because I saw a monkey bread kit in a catalog. They had the booth sweet brown sugar cinnamon and cheesy and chive savoy. The kit was like $23.00 and all it came with was a spice packet and a small sack of biscuit mix. You still need to add some of your own ingredients. I kept thinking, what a rip off, if only people knew how easy it is to make this.

Reaction score
Monkey bread but be trending because I saw a monkey bread kit in a catalog. They had the booth sweet brown sugar cinnamon and cheesy and chive savoy. The kit was like $23.00 and all it came with was a spice packet and a small sack of biscuit mix. You still need to add some of your own ingredients. I kept thinking, what a rip off, if only people knew how easy it is to make this.

Hah, it cracks me up when that happens.

I mean, I like the trend towards bringing back old, basic recipes and ingredients for modern kitchens but the point of half of those old recipes is that they were simple and used cheap, accesible ingredients :p

Ask a Question