Mousse question

Discussion in 'Desserts' started by Lily Snow, Mar 30, 2018.

  1. Lily Snow

    Lily Snow New Member

    Mar 30, 2018
    Likes Received:
    Alright so im trying to recreate a dessert from a restaurant (it’s a long story) but I have no idea what the green coating is? Is it powdered sugar? Anyone have a guess? It is coating a pistachio mousse.

    Attached Files:

    Lily Snow, Mar 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

  2. Lily Snow

    Norcalbaker59 Well-Known Member

    Jun 23, 2017
    Likes Received:
    Northern California
    It’s a form of sprayed chocolate. It’s called chocolate velvet effect. You need specialized equipment (chocolate spray gun) and commercial quality chocolate. There is an aerosol spray available but it don’t not produce a quality finish.

    The company that produces the commercial grade chocolate is Callebaut.
    Norcalbaker59, Mar 30, 2018
    Becky likes this.
    1. Advertisements

  3. Lily Snow

    Becky Well-Known Member

    Mar 26, 2013
    Likes Received:
    Welcome to the forum Lily :) That sprayed covering will certainly be difficult to recreate in a domestic environment. You could perhaps make something that looks like it - eg by making the mousses, freezing them, then coating them in something like fine green cake/cookie crumbs...? Certainly looks like an ambitious project!

    The chocolate part would be far easier to recreate - they have dipped a container into white chocolate on two sides, then once that is set they dipped it in dark chocolate. Both must be tempered, but easy enough to do.
    Becky, Mar 30, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.