Non-stick pans or an average metal pan?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I made this thread because I want to know what kind of pans you use the most when making cakes. I was thinking about it last night, about how I have been using metal pans all those years and I was hoping I could find those in the place I am going and not just non stick ones! Because well, I don't even like using non-stick frying pans, let alone using non-stick baking pans! No, just no!

I'm not going to sat why I don't like the non-stick ones, but those who have beeen for a while might imagine why. So just tell me which one you use most?

Reaction score
You should remind us Trellum. Does it have anything to do with most being made from China. I don't like them myself but my husband keeps buying them. They are like disposables the non stick ones. Last night I baked a coconut cake and it was in a glass pan, the only one I have for small baking. I have other metal pans some of which need to be replaced as I don't think I will get around to trying to get the rust off. Even so the rust looks so terrible I doubt I'd be comfortable even if I got them cleaned well.

Reaction score
You should remind us Trellum. Does it have anything to do with most being made from China. I don't like them myself but my husband keeps buying them. They are like disposables the non stick ones. Last night I baked a coconut cake and it was in a glass pan, the only one I have for small baking. I have other metal pans some of which need to be replaced as I don't think I will get around to trying to get the rust off. Even so the rust looks so terrible I doubt I'd be comfortable even if I got them cleaned well.

Yeah, that is the reason. But I also don't trust the non stick material in general. We used non stick pans for a while, and you could after a while see the material come off into the food.

Plus I have read a lot, and that material is not to be trusted at all. If you expose them to high temperatures they are very likely to leave residues in your food you will not see.

Reaction score
Plus I have read a lot, and that material is not to be trusted at all. If you expose them to high temperatures they are very likely to leave residues in your food you will not see.

Doesn't sound very appealing at all, when you put it like that! I sadly have used non stick pans for a while and never even thought about the coating peeling off and possibly being ingested on food. Of course if I noticed any damage to the pans I would discard both them and the food I made, but I'm starting to think it might just be better to replace the non stick stuff I have with normal standard metal pans!

Reaction score
Well I have thought about the same thing Trellum and it was one of those things I tried not to read too much on as I already have my opinions which are a little scary. I am always giving instructions on the utensils to use to avoid scraping the bottom and the material lifting but invariably it still comes up overtime. My husband is always buying a new one. We like the non stick idea but..................

Reaction score
I use ceramic coated pans :) They work fine and am sure they don't let any residues in my food or my lungs, hehehe! Non stick in the other hand... you don't need such a high temperatures for it to leave residues you can't even see. If you use the frying pans be careful, I know they are everywhere (I had the hardest time finding the ceramic ones, but was worth it). You can use the cast iron ones... those are excellent we used one for years, but those are hard to find. The steel ones are also good.

Reaction score
Doesn't sound very appealing at all, when you put it like that! I sadly have used non stick pans for a while and never even thought about the coating peeling off and possibly being ingested on food. Of course if I noticed any damage to the pans I would discard both them and the food I made, but I'm starting to think it might just be better to replace the non stick stuff I have with normal standard metal pans!

Sadly, most of the residues they do leave in the food are not even visible, because you don't need to expose them to very high temperatures in order for the particles to make it to the food you are about to eat. That is why I find them so scary. If you can use steel, cast iron or ceramic ones. I use the ceramic ones and they work great :) It's never too late, I used the non stick ones for a while as well.

Reaction score
Sadly, most of the residues they do leave in the food are not even visible, because you don't need to expose them to very high temperatures in order for the particles to make it to the food you are about to eat. That is why I find them so scary. If you can use steel, cast iron or ceramic ones. I use the ceramic ones and they work great :) It's never too late, I used the non stick ones for a while as well.

Yes I think I'll have to invest in some ceramic ones! As they say you can't put a price on health and I hate the thought that we could be eating all that junk without even knowing it! Frankly it's just not worth the health risk to me!

Reaction score
Yes I think I'll have to invest in some ceramic ones! As they say you can't put a price on health and I hate the thought that we could be eating all that junk without even knowing it! Frankly it's just not worth the health risk to me!

Yes, I felt the same way! To be honest I felt horrified when I read you don't even need to expose those pans to very high temps for that to happen. Check this and tell me what you think: http://www.nrdc.org/thisgreenlife/0510.asp

In tests conducted on ordinary gas and electric stoves, Teflon and other non-stick pans topped 700° F in three to five minutes.

I tried to find a really good site that was talking of this same topic, but couldn't find it. It was a bit more clear about the dangers of non stick frying pans. I might be able to find it later.

Reaction score
I line my pans with parchment paper always. I do not want my baked goods in direct contact with non stick, which always gets damaged, or aluminum, which leaches into the food. For sheet cakes I just use a glass pan, but since I don't have glass round ones, I use the parchment paper.

Reaction score
I am using an average metal pan instead of a non stick pan when I am baking. I had invested some of its kind when I was not still married. But right now I am saving in order to buy also ceramic pans which I learned is safer to use. And yes when it comes to our health the more we should be careful in preparing and cooking our foods.

Reaction score
Hi Amy! Ceramic frying pans you mean? or are there ceramic baking pans? I agree with you! I also use average metal pans for my baking :) I hope I can find them in the place where am going to live, I have 3 of different sizes here.

Reaction score
I line my pans with parchment paper always. I do not want my baked goods in direct contact with non stick, which always gets damaged, or aluminum, which leaches into the food. For sheet cakes I just use a glass pan, but since I don't have glass round ones, I use the parchment paper.

Ah, that is a good idea! One of my biggest fears when I move is not finding metal cake pans over there, the parchment paper idea sounds good. If for some reaosn I can't find those metal pans there, and only non-stick, then I will surely use parchment paper (if no other choice). I hate that stuff, but sadly is now everywhere :(

Ask a Question