Peanut butter cookies

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me? I am making peanut butter cookies but can't seem to dry them out enough to become crunchy (They stay soft).
I have tried putting them into the oven for 180'C for 17min take them out to cool completely and popped them back in at 180'C for 5min and it made no difference. Any advice or someone battling with the same thing?

Reaction score
I am no expert, but I would use all butter, no shortening; equal or more white sugar than brown, baking soda as your leavener, and bake at 150°C for 18-22 minutes, or a bit longer, until they are baked to your liking, as long as they do not over brown. Search on line how to make crispy crunchy cookies, these things are suggested on several sites. Happy Baking!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can someone please help me? I am making peanut butter cookies but can't seem to dry them out enough to become crunchy (They stay soft).
I have tried putting them into the oven for 180'C for 17min take them out to cool completely and popped them back in at 180'C for 5min and it made no difference. Any advice or someone battling with the same thing?

1) What type of sugar are you using? Granulated sugar creates a thinner crisper cookie. Brown sugar contains molasses, which is an invert sugar. It has more moisture so it produces a thicker, softer cookie. If you are using a recipe that has brown sugar and granulated sugar, change the proportions so it has more granulated sugar and brown sugar.

2) The type of peanut butter will also affect the texture of the cookie. If you’re using natural peanut butter the cookie is going to be much softer since they do not contain emulsifiers (mono and diglycerides) Since you’re using Celsius, I assume you’re not in the US; i’m in the US. The brand I prefer, Jif, contains the emulsifiers.

3) type of leavening and amount makes a difference. Baking powder will produce a puffer cookie with a cakey texture; baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) produces a thinner, crunchier cookie. Too much leavening will create a softer cookie.

4) protein content in flour; too low a protein content will produce a soft cookie. You use Celsius. If you are in the UK and using plain flour, The protein content is very low, about 9%. This is equivalent to cake flour in the United States. It’s too low for cookies. Try mixing it with strong flour.

Reaction score
1) What type of sugar are you using? Granulated sugar creates a thinner crisper cookie. Brown sugar contains molasses, which is an invert sugar. It has more moisture so it produces a thicker, softer cookie. If you are using a recipe that has brown sugar and granulated sugar, change the proportions so it has more granulated sugar and brown sugar.

2) The type of peanut butter will also affect the texture of the cookie. If you’re using natural peanut butter the cookie is going to be much softer since they do not contain emulsifiers (mono and diglycerides) Since you’re using Celsius, I assume you’re not in the US; i’m in the US. The brand I prefer, Jif, contains the emulsifiers.

3) type of leavening and amount makes a difference. Baking powder will produce a puffer cookie with a cakey texture; baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) produces a thinner, crunchier cookie. Too much leavening will create a softer cookie.

4) protein content in flour; too low a protein content will produce a soft cookie. You use Celsius. If you are in the UK and using plain flour, The protein content is very low, about 9%. This is equivalent to cake flour in the United States. It’s too low for cookies. Try mixing it with strong flour.
Thank you so much for this helpful advice will definitely give it a try over the weekend and keep you updated.

Ask a Question