"Pink" Velvet Cake

Reaction score
So I made a Red Velvet cake (Ana Olsen recipe) and the sponge tastes delicious, it's extremely light and crumbly which made it a bit difficult to decorate.

I had to rush the final touches, but found some pink glittery sugar in a shop so decided I would use it to decorate. I stencilled out the shape of a Taco, my friend's favourite food, and wrote her name in the middle as it's for her birthday.

DOY_7IUUEAAz9c5.jpg:large

IMG_0339.JPG

I did do a crumb layer for the icing- should I leave this in the fridge to harden slightly before applying the final coat?

Reaction score
I missed this post earlier. What did you end up doing? The top looks so cute. Were you asking about applying a second layer of frosting, or a second layer of the pink sugar? I'm not very clear.

Reaction score
I missed this post earlier. What did you end up doing? The top looks so cute. Were you asking about applying a second layer of frosting, or a second layer of the pink sugar? I'm not very clear.

Yeah, I'm confused too. If he already finished and decorated the cake, what is the intent of another coating?

Reaction score
I meant to ask about the frosting- should I chill the cake after the first layer and frosting and then add the cleaner one?

I didn't have time to try this, so decided the pink sugar would be nice but also a bit different

I ended up doing a standard vanilla buttercream

Reaction score
Usually you do want to chill the crumb coat so it's firm and then you can add the second coat of frosting without it dragging the crumb coat into the top coat. But if your frosting stays in place, then you don't have to worry about it. Looks so cute!

Ask a Question