Pudding On-The-Inside Disasters

Reaction score
One of my decedent delights of indulgence are cakes with a yummy pudding filling. But much to my chagrin, each attempt I have made to make one of these treasure filled treats has ended in a total disaster.If the filling was right consistency, the cake itself would be raw in places. Once, the filling scorched somehow , and was totally inedible. I am still unsure how I managed that feat.

Zoe

Reaction score
I have never tried to bake the filling inside the cake. I have used pudding filling in cupcakes and in between layered cakes. I bake the cupcake, punch a hole in the center and then fill the cupcake with the pudding filling and then frost. If I'm making a layered cake; I spread the pudding in between the layers and then frost the cake. Doing it this way assures that the cake is evenly baked and the pudding filling is the right consistency. I have bake a cake using pudding in the batter for a specific texture or moisture but not as a baked filling.

Reaction score
I was using a very old recipe I had found in my grandmothers books. Some of it was smudged so I am obviously missing something. I think I will try your method and see how I like it. Thanks for the great idea.

Reaction score
I agree with Zoe. I usually bake the cupcake first and then use one of those filling syringes to squirt pudding into it.
You can also make poke cake by baking the cake, poking holes all over it and spreading pudding over it so the pudding soaks in through the holes.

0d160444e7dcc25ad812bb4302f91181.jpg
oreo+cake+slice.JPG

http://treyandchristy.blogspot.ca/2012/08/oreo-pudding-poke-cake.html

The link above goes a blog with an Oreo pudding poke cake recipe.

Reaction score
I tried the poke method in a cake yesterday and it worked very well. So I want to thank you for the great ideas for my favorite treat. It took alot less time and less mess than what I had previously been attempting.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your cake struggles, but oh that sounds good pudding filled cake! I have never heard of making a poke cake and then adding the filling in and that sounds like such a great idea!

Reaction score
I had never tried it til just the other day, the poke method, and I was totally thrilled with how it worked for me. I highly recommend trying it if you have not and you like this type of treat.

Ask a Question