Pumpkin pies!

Reaction score
I baked the crust first , then filled it and baked it,I baked it longer than the recipe called for,it said to test it with a knife and i had problems with getting the filling done,I did follow the recipe on the Libbys can,I usually use a different brand and haven't had a whole lot of problems with it

should I be baking the crust raw ? since I am having a problem with it,I did use an oil based crust,it usually comes out OK,but I'm thinking I need to step up my crust,the one I've been using will com,e out a bit crunchy

which is pretty good in a Lemon Pie,hmmm I baked that crust first too,it could be a pie shell problem Chester,do you have a tried and true easy pie crust recipe ? uuuh with an easy video to follow ? lol just kidding or am I ? ;)

You can bake the crust first, but you can bake the crust for 5 minutes and then pull it out of the oven. That way it wont burn when you bake it again.

Even oil based crusts will burn if you bake them too much.

You can do one of two things that I know of to help keep your crust from burning....

1. Cover the edge of the pie plate and exposed pie crust with tin foil This is supposed to help keep it from burning during more baking.

2. Rub butter or oil over the edges of the crust that will be exposed once the filling is in the crust. That is also supposed to help keep the edges from burning while baking it more.

Reaction score
I need to give a try and rub some butter on the edges and see if that helps or just not prebake the crust ,I think that is where I went wrong or where I was stabbing it with a knife to see if it was done :)

Reaction score
I need to give a try and rub some butter on the edges and see if that helps or just not prebake the crust ,I think that is where I went wrong or where I was stabbing it with a knife to see if it was done :)

Well, you want to bake the pie crust for at least a couple of minutes, even if its just to get it "firmed up". There are some people who do not prebake their crusts at all, and they come out tasting very doughy and raw. It helps if you prebake it, even if its just for 2 or 3 minutes.

Reaction score
I will give that a try Chester,I do make a pie ring when I bake one,I just fold some foil around the edges,should I cover the edge all the way down to the flat part of the crust before baking ?

and I do think I make be making the edges to thin,i haven't gotten a good dough flop into the pan right in a while lol so i press small pieces of the oil based dough around a lot of the edges and i may be not getting the edges thick enough too

or is it the oil based crust ?

Reaction score
I will give that a try Chester,I do make a pie ring when I bake one,I just fold some foil around the edges,should I cover the edge all the way down to the flat part of the crust before baking ?

and I do think I make be making the edges to thin,i haven't gotten a good dough flop into the pan right in a while lol so i press small pieces of the oil based dough around a lot of the edges and i may be not getting the edges thick enough too

or is it the oil based crust ?

Dont cover it when pre-baking, only when baking with the filling in it.

Reaction score
oh ok,I am bad to crisp or burn the edges

Well, if you want to replace it, this is the best time of year to find a really good deal on a new one.
Most stores are getting rid of old stock for the new 2016 stock.....

I know you posted in another thread you would like a new counter top oven......

Reaction score
I'm going to try another pumpkin pie today,I've been snowed in and haven't made it to the grocery store in a week or so lol I did have a cream cheese sandwich for a snack yesterday lol and my sweet tooth is aching :)

and do the store bought pie rings work really well ?

hmmm can you defrost it in a micro wave ? it will take for ever sitting on the counter lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
I did put it in the micro wave on defrost for about 5 minutes and then talked to my friend that bakes and she said not to since it has eggs in it,oooops hopefully I didn't ruin it,it still had a block of frozen pie filling in it

I can't believe I didn't put it in a bowl of hot water instead lol that was her idea,it is in a old butter bowl

Reaction score
ok here it is

007.JPG

black spot and all ;) I did post more pictures in the pie crust thread,it does smell like pumpkin pie in here now

Last edited:
Reaction score
rats I didn't think this pumpkin pie thing through,now i will have to make some home made whipped topping to go with it :)

Reaction score
well the crust was tuff as nails :) the filling was great and the whipped topping was great too,I will tell you what was wrong with the crust in the pie crust thread lol

how can i make my pumpkin pie better than the recipe on the can ? so I can separate my self from the other canned pumpkin pie makers lol

Reaction score
well the crust was tuff as nails :) the filling was great and the whipped topping was great too,I will tell you what was wrong with the crust in the pie crust thread lol

how can i make my pumpkin pie better than the recipe on the can ? so I can separate my self from the other canned pumpkin pie makers lol

If you read my list on page one of this thread, there is a lot you can add to make it your own style of pumpkin pie!!!!

Reaction score
lol come to think of it,the information has all ready been posted Chester :)

and I will check it out on the next one,maybe,I'm bad to forget stuff

Reaction score
Reaction score
where that recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups pumpkin,is that the canned stuff at the store ?

that does look great

Reaction score
where that recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups pumpkin,is that the canned stuff at the store ?

that does look great

Yes, that will be the plain canned pumpkin, not the pumpkin pie mix.
You can use the pumpkin pie mix if you want, but then you have to cut down or cut out the added spices on the recipe. Unless you like heavy spiced pumpkin pie.

Ask a Question