002.JPG
003.JPG
005.JPG

for some reason the dough was on the dry side

006.JPG
007.JPG

looks good so far :)

008.JPG

I still can't flip the pie dough into the pan very well either :)

010.JPG

I did get it to looking all right

012.JPG

I did sling filling every where :)

Ta Da here it is,it is still cooling off

015.JPG

ugh it was a bit of a chore to clean up my mess :) I think I have a boo boo going on and will have another tuff crust,I baked the crust for the full time,I probably should have went with 5 minutes instead of the 15 that the recipe called for,

I will let ya'll know how it comes out,rats and I have to make some topping too,it will be from a box this time,if I have the stuff :)

Reaction score
is that to many pictures ?

especially the one with pumpkin bits tossed about :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tough crust means you probably over worked it or let it sit in the pan too long before baking it.

From my experience, you never want to actually bake a pie crust unless you are making a pie filling that you do not bake.

If you are baking the pie filling too, then I would never bake the crust for more than 5 minutes. You just want to "dry it out" a bit before putting the filling in...so the crust doesn't turn out gummy.

Reaction score
Stick a note up on the wall by the oven as a reminder. I often have to leave myself reminders like that. Or, tuck it inside of the pie plate, so you'll see it next time you go to make a pie. I'm wondering if the pie crust was a tad dry to start with, because it looks as if it might have been, from the picture where you'd rolled it out. Maybe add a tiny bit of water to it before you roll it out, and I definitely wouldn't pre-bake it. Your fillings look lovely, I'm sure they taste delicious. Imagine how yummy they'll be when you perfect the crust.

Reaction score
it was a bit dryer than usual for some reason and I've used this recipe often and it was never that dry

Reaction score
ok I'm about to try another one :)

after this if it comes out good,i want be baking another one for a long time lol

Reaction score
oops I forgot to take more pictures,but here is the UNBAKED crust

001.JPG

the filling was the other half that I used on the last one,so that part will be good

hopefully :)

and am I using to much flour,when I roll out the crust between 2 sheets of wax paper ? the edges have a lot of excess flour on them,as you can see

i assume that a adjustable pie ring would be a wonderful thing,I'm tiered of fighting with the foil around the edges :)

Reaction score
it wasn't burnt,but the bottom was way to hard,it was tuff to cut with a fork,I was watching TV and had to set the plate down on a desk to cut it,it may just be the oil based shell ?

Reaction score
it wasn't burnt,but the bottom was way to hard,it was tuff to cut with a fork,I was watching TV and had to set the plate down on a desk to cut it,it may just be the oil based shell ?

How do you work your crust dough? How long do you work it?
I think maybe you just worked it too long. It can get like hard leather after being baked, if it's been overworked.

Reaction score
with the oil based one all i have to do is stir it with a fork and it forms a ball fairly quickly

then I just formed it into a disk and rolled it out between 2 pieces of wax paper

Last edited:
Reaction score
with the oil based one all i have to do is stir it with a fork and it forms a ball fairly quickly

then I just formed it into a disk and rolled it out between 2 pieces of wax paper

Might be the kind of oil you are using. Have you tried butter or margarine?
Some types of oils do have a tendency to make flour go tough.

This seems to be a good article on the subject...

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/07/the-food-lab-the-science-of-pie-how-to-make-pie-crust-easy-recipe.html

I take it you haven't mastered Croissants yet, since you are still having dough/crust issues? ;):D:D:D

Reaction score
I'm using canola oil,since the bottle says heart healthy

actually I'm working on the croissants right now :)

Reaction score
I'm using canola oil,since the bottle says heart healthy

actually I'm working on the croissants right now :)

Try butter or margarine next time, and see if that makes a difference. Canola oil is a bit heavy, and thats probably the reason. Any heavy fat, oil, or lard is going to make a tough pastry crust.

If you want to stay away from the butter altogether, then I would try a clear and light veggie oil, maybe a light olive oil.

You might try this also.....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12466/oil-pie-crust/

Ask a Question