Question About Laminated Dough Proportions

SHA

Reaction score
I know it is handy to use formulas over recipes so you can easily alter the proportions of your dough for the desired quantity of output but how do you deal with laminated doughs where you also have to deal with surface areas of the dough and butter in addition to ingredient amounts ?

Reaction score
I know it is handy to use formulas over recipes so you can easily alter the proportions of your dough for the desired quantity of output but how do you deal with laminated doughs where you also have to deal with surface areas of the dough and butter in addition to ingredient amounts ?
follow the recipe and you'll never have to "deal" with any issue.
I no longer bake commercially so using percentages is no longer needed, thats more useful for large scale production.

if you look at enough recipes and note the ratio of fat to flour you see a trend, croiss will be closer to 50% of the flour weight,
puff dough will be closer to equal parts fat to flour.

the surface areas of the dough and butter have nothing to do with it, you simply follow the rules for laminating.

SHA

Reaction score
But if I want to say double a recipe, would I double the length and width of my butter and dough block or just double the length or do I have to do 2 batches and stick to the original recipe and sizes?

Reaction score
But if I want to say double a recipe, would I double the length and width of my butter and dough block or just double the length or do I have to do 2 batches and stick to the original recipe and sizes?

No. You just have to start with the same thickness of dough and butter.

If the dough is thicker than the butter block, the result is less flaky product as there is too little butter between layer.

If the dough is thinner than the butter block, too much butter is between layers, making a greasy product.

Reaction score
keep the block reasonable, if the butter is pounded too thin it will become warm very quickly.
I like to keep it around 1/4 inch thick, same for the dough.
the dimension of the pounded butter dictates the size of the dough.
I do it like this, its very simple and straightforward.

SHA

Reaction score
Is it about 50% butter to flour weight or weight of the dough (w/sugar, liquid, etc) ?

Ask a Question