Should a burnt baked good just be tossed?

Reaction score
I usually try to save it, since more often than not I've used quite a bit of effort and time into it, but if it's burnt really bad to the point where none of it tastes good or can be salvaged I probably would just throw it away.

Reaction score
I have tried different avenues to save a burnt baked good. Some of them work (cutting off edges) and others don't (extra icing). At times, it's just obvious that the baking project I completed was a failure and the goods need to go in the trash.

Do you always throw away burnt baked goods or try to mostly save them?

If it were for an occasion then of course I'd toss it. If it were for me then I'd scrape off the burnt part and make a powdered sugar glaze icing. Yum!

Reaction score
Crazy idea that only a dude would think of: You should completely seal them with several coats of clear sealant and turn them into "trophies" to place on a shelf somewhere, or use as paperweights, etc.! People always tout and honor their successes, why not do the same for failures to help remember how to avoid them?

Reaction score
From my bake product is badly burnt i usually just toss it out; nothing taste worst than burnt pastries.

Reaction score
Depends on the level of burnt, doesn't it?

I mean, if it's burnt to a crisp all the way through, you've no chance. However, you might be able to cut out the burnt bit and save the rest of it. Or even, save a tiny bit out of the rest which is burnt to a crisp.

Reaction score
if its extremely burnt to the point that it absolutely cannot be eaten at all then I normally just toss it. However if there is the chance that it can be eaten and maybe with an added something like cream it could taste really great then I sometimes just let it stay.

Reaction score
if its extremely burnt to the point that it absolutely cannot be eaten at all then I normally just toss it. However if there is the chance that it can be eaten and maybe with an added something like cream it could taste really great then I sometimes just let it stay.
Have you ever tried adding cream to something that's burnt though?

Reaction score
For me it all depends on how burnt it actually is and what it is that I tried to bake. If it is a cake I will just cut off the layer that is burnt but if it is not too burnt .At the same time if it is cupcakes or something than I will just throw it away.

Reaction score
If it can be swallowed, I will eat it. I hate to waste things and I've heard that a bit of carbon can be good for digestion, as long as it's just grains that are burned, which baked goods are pretty much primarily grains and sugar, so I will just scrape off whatever scrapes off and eat the rest. I won't subject anyone else to it though. I've noticed that slightly burned cookies, while ugly, really aren't that bad.

Reaction score
I would try to salvage what I can. My son actually likes things slightly burnt. I must confess it does not extend to cakes as far as I know. It would have to be burnt beyond recognition for me to toss it.

Reaction score
I hate to waste food, plus throwing away all the time and energy I put into it...so I try to save them in some way if possible. I've only really burnt things mildly before, so I'm usually successful in salvaging them and even if they don't taste as amazing as I was expecting, they're still edible at least. I can't stand wasting food when I don't have to.

Ask a Question