Should you ask a friend for a family recipe?

Discussion in 'Baker Banter' started by True2marie, Feb 16, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marie Well-Known Member

Family recipes are sacred to some people. Is it improper to ask a good friend to share one? I have a buddy who makes the BEST potato salad in the world, but I am concerned about asking her about all of the ingredients because the recipe she uses has been passed down for generations.

[​IMG]

True2marie, Feb 16, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. True2marie

randee555 Well-Known Member

I don't think I would ask for someone's family recipe. Somethings are sacred and have sentimental value and I wouldn't want to interfere with that. On the other hand, some people don't mind giving out family recipes so I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask.

randee555, Feb 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. True2marie

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

To some people friends are like family. If you have a close bond with your friend, I don't see anything wrong with asking. Some people love their friends like family members.

ACSAPA, Feb 17, 2014
  4. True2marie

Lacey Well-Known Member

I have asked my friends for family recipes and they have always been eager to share them. I think that most people take it as a complement to be asked for a recipe.

Lacey, Feb 17, 2014
  5. True2marie

NThomas Well-Known Member

It never hurts to ask. Just prepared to hear no. I have a hard time sharing recipes because I sometime don't use proper mesurement.

NThomas, Mar 12, 2014
  6. True2marie

LindaKay Well-Known Member

I think it depends. I would maybe play it off as a joke...like a...," Hey, you're gonna have to give me the recipe for that amazing banana bread one of these days!"

If your friend seems cool with it, then maybe you can push harder. If she doesn't, then I would leave it alone.

LindaKay, Mar 12, 2014
  7. True2marie

dorannmwin Well-Known Member

I think that it would depend on how close that you were to the person. If they are something that you are really close to and that you could almost consider to be family then they would probably share their recipe with you. However, there is always the chance that they wouldn't share their recipe with you.

dorannmwin, Mar 14, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question