Something very light for special occasion dessert

Reaction score
I am looking for ideas for a very light treat to serve after a rich meal. I am trying to plan ahead for our anniversary, and I know we will have steak or seafood or something rich like that for dinner. Probably a steak, since that is my husband's idea of celebrating. I want to make something light but good, and hopefully pretty. I figured I should ask now, so I can start practicing if it's something intricate. Any ideas? I want it to be really special.

Reaction score
I think a pretty jello, whip cream, nuts, and maybe a light pudding layered in a nice glass would be nice. You could use different flavors of jello for the layers...and use slivered almonds as a topping with the whip cream. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, Torreyy. That would be very nice and light. Unfortunately, my husband doesn't care for Jell-O or pudding. I'll keep that in mind for some other time though. It would look very pretty. :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Winterybella. That list is lovely. I see some I might want to make sooner, lol, and I think that swirly strawberry cheesecake one might just work for my dinner.:)

Reaction score
Thanks, Winterybella. That list is lovely. I see some I might want to make sooner, lol, and I think that swirly strawberry cheesecake one might just work for my dinner.:)

Oh my God, that's the one I fancied right away. If I can pull that off I am going to try it sooner than later. It's just that I am usually making big plans that don't always come to fruition.Actually most do but it is usually some time down the road. I am glad something grabbed you.

Reaction score
After a rich and heavy meal, I like to have a light custard dessert. Custard is not too sweet and you can add pieces of fruit or other creative ingredients and it rounds out the meal nicely.

Reaction score
The last time I had custard "eons" ago, it made me throw up. I've never eaten it since. Maybe I should try it more than twenty years down the road.

Reaction score
I like custard. I think it's delicious, but it can also be really rich. Maybe that's why it was too much for you, Wintrybella.

Reaction score
It is all in the way that the custard is made. Perhaps you had some bad custard Wintery? I am not sure why it would make you throw up. It should not be too sweet or thick if it is made right; it is actually supposed to be light and not too sweet.

Reaction score
I don't know what happen back then but it left a 'bad taste" in my mouth. Who knows what went wrong back then? Maybe it wasn't made right. I started looking up some recipes since it was brought up here and I like how this particular recipes sounds. It includes coconut flakes and I've been looking for a nice recipe that calls for coconut flakes. Not sure I should sacrifice my flakes for something I might not like.:confused:

Reaction score
Mmmm coconut! I think I might have to do something with coconut flakes now, lol. I've always liked it, but right now that just sounds SO good. Maybe I'll make some light, little, white cake balls and top them vanilla frosting, coconut, and serve them with a fanned strawberry. Oooh that sounds pretty, doesn't it?

You did it, Wintry! :)

Reaction score
Mmmm coconut! I think I might have to do something with coconut flakes now, lol. I've always liked it, but right now that just sounds SO good. Maybe I'll make some light, little, white cake balls and top them vanilla frosting, coconut, and serve them with a fanned strawberry. Oooh that sounds pretty, doesn't it?

You did it, Wintry! :)

I swore I had posted the recipe I found but turns out I didn't? I went to find it and had no success. I hate when that happens. However look what I stumbled on. I am sorry to do this to you. Take a look and please don't get lost.:)

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/coconut-custard/

Reaction score
No, Wintry! That is too much! Now, I'll be tempted to make more than one of those. I don't need to be eating that stuff. I want to lose a few pounds before my anniversary, not gain some! lol But, those Portugese coconut custard tarts look pretty great. I might just have to try them. They're small, so it's okay, right?

So many delicious things, too little time (and too many calories!)

I do think I'm going to stick with coconut cake and fanned strawberries though. I actually have a heart shaped pan for muffins/cupcakes, but I didn't think of it until later.. It makes 4 hearts, but I can just use to make two cakes. Coconut covered hearts with berries and a nice dessert wine. Sounds good?

Reaction score
:):):D I am sorry. I can get carried again sometimes. I don't know how to pull some back otherwise I would. I forgot about the "light" when the custard and subsequent coconut talk came up.

The thing is I went out and bought me some coconut flakes and it has been sitting there with me trying to decided what to do with it as the options are endless and I am still reluctant to try anything too technical.

Anyway, just cut your eyes at most of them as I want you to be in tip top shape for the anniversary.;)

Reaction score
I really like to toast coconut flakes and mix them into melted chocolate and then let the chocolate set. I know that this does not constitute a light dessert, but it is another good use for coconut

Reaction score
I really meant "light" as in not too rich or heavy more so than light as in diet/low cal. Chocolate and coconut is hard to beat. The are two of my favorite things, so I'll keep this in my for another time, Tina.

Wintry, ha! You did it on purpose! lol. Kidding, but it's fine. I now have some great ideas to borrow for other occasions, so thanks. So, what are you doing with your coconut?

Reaction score
I really on't know what to do with my coconut. I wanted to do something in the baking department, but I am getting tired of having it around doing nothing. I can find lots of things to do with in the other areas of my cooking but I wanted to use it for baking. My local "sweet bread" calls for the "real" coconut that I watched my mom laboring on in the kitchen when I was a child. I feel to attempt any of our traditional recipes with the flakes would be to water it down and change to taste. I don't know: I might be wrong.

Reaction score
You have much more willpower than I do. I would have made something with it by now. It would have been too tempting, especially after seeing that page you linked me, haha. Too many treats there to ignore!

I thought of making petit fours for my grandbaby's birthday, but I might just make those for my anniversary too, if I can pull it off. My heart cake cups are kind of large (bigger than a typical cupcakes. So, tiny cakes with coconut maybe. I really need to make up my mind. I guess I see your dilemma now... :confused:

Ask a Question