Something different for lunch!

Reaction score
I came across this recipe online and thought i would share with you all as i am thinking of making it for lunch today with a couple slices of bake fish.

Carrot Fries with Lemon-Mint Dip
Ingredients
Dip:
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fries:
5 cups safflower or vegetable oil
6 large egg whites, beaten
3 cups panko breadcrumbs (Japanese breadcrumbs)
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch long sticks, each about 1/2-inch thick
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
Directions
For the dip: In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, mint, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper together until blended. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.

For the fries: In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. (If you dont have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in about 3 minutes.)

Place the egg whites in a medium bowl. Place the panko breadcrumbs in another medium bowl. Working in batches, drop the carrot sticks into the egg whites and turn to coat. Remove the carrot sticks, allowing any excess egg white to drip back into the bowl. Drop the carrot sticks in the panko; toss gently to coat.

Working in batches, fry the carrot sticks until deep brown, 3 to 4 minutes, turning and separating with a wooden spoon and adjusting the temperature to maintain 350 degrees F. Drain on paper towels.

Place a bowl of the dip in the center of a platter. Sprinkle the fries with salt and pepper. Arrange the fries around the dip, and serve.

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

CATEGORIES: Carrot Side Dish Fries View All

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...s-with-lemon-mint-dip-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Reaction score
This sounds delicious! I imagine the dip would be really cooling to eat on a hot day. I've never had carrot fries, but I've had parsnip chips that my sister made at Christmas - they were scrummy!

Thanks for posting the recipe - I'd definitely like to try the dip.

Reaction score
That looks strange. I imagine the carrot fries taste more sweet than salty though?
I'm a fan of sweet potatoes fries, so this could be an even healthier version, maybe?

Reaction score
I have never tried carrot fries, but I have had greenbelt fries. Anything fried is good in my opinion, just not very good for you. I hope your lunch was fantastic.

Reaction score
Anything fried is good in my opinion, just not very good for you. I hope your lunch was fantastic.

True. Eggplant beignet... hmmmmm! And onion rings. Mmmmmmm. And, donuts.

I expect that fried carrots are a tad more healthy than donuts though!

Reaction score
I wonder if you can get away with fried foods more when they are veggies? I sure would like to think so. I am sure fried carrots are better than donuts.

Ask a Question