Spanish Bar Cake

Reaction score
My parents used to by a simple cake from the supermarket that I loved as a kid. I haven't had any for years, and would love if someone has a comparable recipe.

It was called Spanish bar cake. It's nothing fancy: a spice cake with raisins and icing on top and between the layers of cake.

I don't think it's particularly Spanish, but probably has many spices used in Spain such as cinnamon and cardamom etc.

Reaction score
I rember this cake, it was a favorite of my grandfather's. On Sundays after dinner we would all have a slice. This is the first time anyone outside of my family has talked about this cake. I had forgotten all about . Brings back memories , right ?

Reaction score
I actually have a friend that makes something like this. I forget what she calls it but its absolutely delicious. I will ask her when I see her again what the name of it is and a recipe.

Reaction score
I found this recipe that looks a lot like what you are talking about: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cake/a-ps-spanish-bar-cake.html I think I remember eating something like that too. It does sound like a spice cake but the cream cheese frosting must make it unique. The woman who hosts the recipe gives some background on the A&P grocery store that it came from. Other sites relate that A&P stands for, 'The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company'. It was established in in 1859 as a small chain of tea and coffee stores in New York City. By the 1930's they had spread countrywide and added on grocery items. That must be why they had an exclusive cake like this to their name: it was originally a tea and coffee shop! I thought that was really cool. From the several recipes I read, it would seem a lot of spices are key. Also, the raisins need to be plump or soaked. It looks like you can still shop at A&P and they even have an online option. But when I searched for the cake I couldn't find it. They should come out with a 'holiday' addition or something because it really seems to be something a lot of people miss. I hope you are able to make it just like you remember! :)

Ask a Question