Thanksgiving bakes?

Reaction score
For the Americans among us, are you baking, sweet or savory, for Thanksgiving?

I may try making King Arthur Flour's recipe for "stuffing bread" - a bread specially seasoned to be made into stuffing, or to use for sandwiches with the leftover bird. Which kind of suggests I double it? :)
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/thanksgiving-stuffing-loaf-recipe

I was originally thinking of making what I call my "un-stuffing" - which is based on a lot of roasted vegetables, squash, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onions, etc. and only a tiny bit of stuffing bread, melted butter, and stock added after everything's roasted and transferred to an oblong pan - but doing the final bake inside a hollowed out loaf of sturdy bread instead.

Reaction score
I never bake or cook for holidays, except for the Birthdays some friends have around this time, or for a few Cmas presents.

Other than that, I go out to eat. Let somebody else worry about cooking!!!!

Reaction score
I think doubling it is a good idea :D That’s an interesting bread, let us know how it turns out if you do make it.

No Thanksgiving bakes for me. My husband’s family usually goes out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving and that’s what we’re doing this year. I thought about baking some cookies to give them, but I’m not sure if I’ll have time. We’ll see how it goes

Reaction score
We don't usually cook the whole meal either, but that's because we're usually invited to his sister's or other family. This year they're away, and he was originally going to be working Thursday but that just changed, so now I guess we need to see whether we're cooking for just us. Usually we end up bringing something (homemade pies, rolls, salad, a side.)

A couple years back, I was inspired by a podcast to bake pies. David Plotz of the Slate Political Gabfest mentioned that every year his mother bakes a LOT of pies, one year 19 pies for a 20-person family gathering, and he shared the recipe for a mocha buttercrunch pie. I made that pie and an invention of my own, a combined cherry-cranberry pie, because I like tart cherries but could only find sweet frozen cherries. I then made the same pies a week later for another gathering, but I'm not sure I baked a pie since! It's a cute article if anyone wants to read it:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...orious_thanksgiving_baking_extravaganza_.html

Think I may get some of those mini foil pie pans and make little individual pies.

Reaction score
Pies.
Lots of pies...altho not so many this year as lots are traveling.
The most requested is pecan (duh...Texas ;-) so I do a huge pan of bars instead...shortbread on bottom and a thick layer of the filling, no one misses the crust lol.
At least 3 deep dish pumpkin with cinnamon whipped cream and a couple of chocolate cream (the King Arthur recipe is sinful) and of course apple (with raisins) with a thick crumble and walnut topping (usually 2).
When the peaches come in (June) I can a few jars of peach pie filling and set aside with threats of bodily harm if anyone gets caught even looking at them.

One cake just because there has always been one using the family recipe.
A sky high caramel with at least one ganache filled layer (my twist ;-)
That is MY favorite and I have dibs on any leftovers then dump into a big Tupperware bowl and stick in the fridge because I love it cold, eaten from the bowl with a fork.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That caramel cake sounds amazing! Yum.

Well, found out yesterday we're invited to share Thanksgiving with some good friends. There'll be about eight of us. Apparently there was a text chain on what people were bringing, but most of the Thanksgiving staples were already checked off. I guess I'm going to make some homemade rolls, thinking of making a small variety of them, including gluten free corn muffins in case anyone needs GF and/or has grown up with a cornbread tradition. The others will probably include a tangzhong to make them soft and fluffy, some white rolls, a dark brown steakhouse type bread roll, and possibly a sweet potato roll recipe I saw from Martha Stewart, or perhaps a "seeded savory quick bread" recipe that I saw last week on Martha Bakes. I think I'll omit the caraway and instead add cracked pumpkin seeds. I'll probably halve recipes, or else make extra and freeze either before final proof or blind-baked.

Will whip up a few different butters as well, honey butter, herbed garlic butter, and plain. I wasn't in on the text chain, so I hope my boyfriend said that was what we were doing. He wants to make some empanadas, too.

Reaction score
This year I’m doing both. I’m making the stuffing as well as sweet potato casserole. I’ve done those dishes for the last couple years for thanksgiving and everyone likes them.
I am also making a couple pumpkin cake rolls.
My sister hosts so me and other family members contribute to the meal. It makes less work for her and less stress since she’s doing the turkey.
My second eldest sister always does the pies. And my dad and step mom contribute to the meal as well.

Reaction score
Yum! that all sounds wonderful, Angie! I am tempted to try baking a cake as well. For now I think I am attempting to make:

I found out after planning a fourth item that there will likely only be eight people, so that's probably not enough people to offer a fourth roll/bread option. This was going to be that pick. I may make it for another occasion, especially as I've already bought the spelt flour and the seeds!

Ask a Question