The Bakers Blues (riff riff riff)

Reaction score
Since I've taken up the hobby of baking I'm quickly realizing that hard work, results, and appreciation do not always occur on the same bake! Last night I stayed up to a late hour making cake pops for our small company Halloween desert contest only to be bested by someone who put store bought candy in small bags with the company logo. The only judge didn't even taste my desert. To my surprise this wasn't a mini Great British Baking Show! My sore arm was shattered from both hand mixing a large batch of butter cake mix ( I don't own a standing mixer) and the news that the effort was in vain.

I tested my work and new it tasted good, not professional, but good. But the contest was not about skill, ingredients and baking passion or results. It was just a fun silly event to make people laugh.

After only a few months of baking I understand the time and love invested in a bake. It seems like a pointless endeavor to make something so time consuming when baked goods are readily available all around. So perhaps only a few people that appreciate fresh baked goods and the home or professional bakers will ever appreciate the plight of the baker .

I bake on.

P.s. Too dramatic ?

Reaction score
That sucks, I can understand your disappointment :( Don't be disheartened though. I bake primarily for myself, I like eating nice things and I enjoy the sense of achievement when a bake turns out well. I consider it a bonus if my baking makes other people happy too. Don't let other people dictate your happiness ;)

Reaction score
Since I've taken up the hobby of baking I'm quickly realizing that hard work, results, and appreciation do not always occur on the same bake! Last night I stayed up to a late hour making cake pops for our small company Halloween desert contest only to be bested by someone who put store bought candy in small bags with the company logo. The only judge didn't even taste my desert. To my surprise this wasn't a mini Great British Baking Show! My sore arm was shattered from both hand mixing a large batch of butter cake mix ( I don't own a standing mixer) and the news that the effort was in vain.

I tested my work and new it tasted good, not professional, but good. But the contest was not about skill, ingredients and baking passion or results. It was just a fun silly event to make people laugh.

After only a few months of baking I understand the time and love invested in a bake. It seems like a pointless endeavor to make something so time consuming when baked goods are readily available all around. So perhaps only a few people that appreciate fresh baked goods and the home or professional bakers will ever appreciate the plight of the baker .

I bake on.

P.s. Too dramatic ?

Over 2000 yrs ago roman emperor Marcus Auralius wrote this;
"do not work in vain glory but set yourself in motion and keep yourself in check".

Ask a Question