The simplest kind of decorating

Reaction score
You can make your own "play dough" out of confectioners sugar, water, and cream cheese (flavoring and coloring if you choose).
Make a really thick paste out of it, and then you can mold it into anything you want with your hands or by using cookie cutters or plastic molds.

That is a really good tip! Thank you! I will try it next time I bake one of those cakes :) The little carrots they place on the cakes and cupcakes in the place where I get my baked goodies sometimes, they are too soft! So I will definitely try this :)

Reaction score
This is probably the best thing for you to start your decoration practice sessions with....

Don't worry about the fancy buttercreams he keeps mentioning, you can use regular buttercream to practice with.

he makes it look to easy :) i've yet to master a cake that doesn't look uuuuh very rustic so far lol and he is cheating using a rotating cake stand also

once I can get a smooth looking finish on a cake,I may try some of his techniques and yes I need to work on making a good consistency on my frosting,but I am starting to see some hope for that problem lol

I don't think I've ever ate a cake with fondant on it,that I can remeber

Reaction score
he makes it look to easy :) i've yet to master a cake that doesn't look uuuuh very rustic so far lol and he is cheating using a rotating cake stand also

once I can get a smooth looking finish on a cake,I may try some of his techniques and yes I need to work on making a good consistency on my frosting,but I am starting to see some hope for that problem lol

I don't think I've ever ate a cake with fondant on it,that I can remeber

We are our own worst critics. I am anyway.

Why is a rotating cake stand cheating? It's a tool made for that purpose, so why would that be cheating? Thats like saying a mechanic is cheating by using a lift to lift up the vehicle, instead of sliding in under it.

There are tons of cake tools out there that can do all sorts of things. I wish I had a big kitchen and someone to video me, I'd give you guys some super easy ways to decorate cakes, that look really complicated!

Reaction score
it is cheating Chester because I don't have one :)

and I would love to be able to learn in your kitchen

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is cheating Chester because I don't have one :)

and I would love to be able to learn in your kitchen

LOL

Well, I don't have a cake turntable either! They are very expensive.

I fold up a cuptowel twice over, and place it under the cake plate I have my cake on, and that way I can slide it around on the counter as I need to. Now THAT is cheating!!!! LOL

Reaction score
Wow, some of you are quite crafty with your cakes. On a typical cake that we will eat together as a family, I generally just frost it with a knife and give the kids jars of sprinkles, cookie crumbs, etc and let them go to town! Hey, its fun for them, right? When I am focused on decorating, I like to do fondant, its easy and looks professional!

Reaction score
Wow, some of you are quite crafty with your cakes. On a typical cake that we will eat together as a family, I generally just frost it with a knife and give the kids jars of sprinkles, cookie crumbs, etc and let them go to town! Hey, its fun for them, right? When I am focused on decorating, I like to do fondant, its easy and looks professional!
Well at least I was with you until you spoke about the fondant. I have a long standing motto-"Perfect the make before you learn to decorate" or something close. The most I have done is the sprinkles and they were not pretty. It was a cake for my 20 years plus son and you would think a child had done the decorating. It was a mess but he loved the thought and if he didn't I did.:)

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with sprinkles. When I was a cake decorator/baker back when, a lot of our cheaper cakes were just frosted cakes with sprinkles.

Ask a Question