Traditional

Reaction score
Does your family have recipes that have been passed down for generations? What is your favorite?

Some of my favorite family recipes are still written in German, especially the desserts and meals reserved for rituals. Is my family the only one that after 6 generations living in America, still haven't translated recipes?

Reaction score
My family does in terms of holiday foods, for Christmas and Easter. Every year we make them exactly as they are written on the scraps of paper that have seriously been passed through so many hands the writing is faint and there are multiple kitchen stains on them. We don't have too many traditional recipes for "everyday" food and I am trying to remedy that by cooking and baking with my grandmother more and taking notes on the recipes...so many of them are in her head.

Reaction score
I don't have any close family members who speak another language, so this isn't something that I have to worry about. We do have a lot of recipes that are written on recipe cards by one of my grandmothers or by my mom. The handwriting is starting to rub off and the cards are a bit stained and worn. I guess I should really rewrite them, and I probably will in case they get so old that I can't use them anymore, but it's nice to have the same recipes cards that my family members have been using for a long time.

Reaction score
We do have some recipe cards written by my great grandmother, but we don't have too many recipes that are traditional in our family, except for coffee cake, and cookies. Even though it's written on the recipe, I can never get it the same tasting as my grandmother..

Reaction score
My grandmother has passed on and left behind a whole book of her recipes. My aunt ended up taking the book when going to the house to gather some things and never made copies for anyone. It depresses me because there were so many recipes I wanted access to. Especially things I grew up eating as a child.

Ask a Question