Undercooking for moist results?

Reaction score
I've always been a huge fan of soft and moist cakes, but at the same time, I worry about them being too undercooked. Even if you take them out a bit sooner, have they been in the heat long enough to kill any germs or bacteria that could be harmful to us from the eggs and whatnot? I love to bake, but I'm also a germaphobe, so sometimes my worlds collide! Lol

Reaction score
I don't think this will be haemful because you are baking for a reasobable tempeture for several minutes. Taking it out just a few minutes early should not be a problem. I do this with my cookies and it has always been fine. They are in the oven long enough to kill the germs.

Reaction score
I always take my brownies out 5 min. early so they are really moist. Unless it's liquid I'd think it's cooked enough to be safe. You could always stick a thermometer in it to be sure.

Reaction score
I wondered about bacteria and such when I saw someone on TV making lava cake from scratch. Eggs and other dairy were used but I've never heard of anyone getting sick from this recipe. I guess a moderate amount of heat over a period of time is guaranteed to kill germs.

Reaction score
I often wondered this very issue myself. My husband takes out everything at least 5 minutes early while I leave them in for the time listed. I worry to much of the eggs not cooking we like they should.

Reaction score
I think it's fine. Eggs cook very quickly. I'm sure they get done in that amount of time.

Reaction score
Yeah, undercooking by a little bit isn't going to make the cake any less safe. The eggs will be cooked long before then.

I would be more concerned about pulling it out too early and the middle being runny instead of simply 'moist', though.

Reaction score
I always love chocolate lava cakes! They're meant to be undercooked and eating a warm one with the chocolate insides just oozing out is a lovely experience!

Yes the temperature from baking a cake (even if it is still soft on the inside) is sufficient to kill most types of bacteria.

Reaction score
As long as your cakes are not "doughy" in the middle you should be good to go. I almost always take mine out a few minutes early and have never gotten sick yet. Just stick a toothpick in the middle and if it comes out clean your cake is done.

Reaction score
I have never had any problems when i took something out just a little bit early. Sometimes, I have taken something out sooner than I meant to, and then, it was gooey in the middle. When I accidentally do this; I try to put it back in and let it finish cooking if possible.
If I am making cookies, I always take those out early, since it seems like they will finish cooking even after I take them out of the oven, and when I leave them in until they are completely done, then they end up really crispy.
Pizza is another thing I have trouble with it getting done. I make a pizza casserole using biscuit mix, and since it is a deeper dish than regular pizza, it has to cook longer.

Reaction score
I have never any problem i took something little bit early. i make a chapati using mix potatoes, cauliflower, radish,and it is a regular my breakfast. it has to cook longer.

Ask a Question