Vegan Donut Issues

Reaction score
Hello! I am making vegan donuts and running into some problems. The recipe is -

300g plain flour
300g strong bread flour
100g sugar
11g instant yeast
100g vegan butter
200ml soy milk (heated to 40 degrees celsius)
Tangzhong (50g flour x 250ml water mix)

I mix the dough without the butter until it comes together. Sometimes I’ll allow the dough to hydrate for 10 mins before then adding the butter cube by cube until fully incorporated. I don’t mix until window pane test, but until the dough is leaving the sides of the bowl. I then put it in the fridge for around 12 hours. I remove it from the fridge and allow it warm up a bit before knocking it back and rolling. I cover the donuts with clingfilm and leave to rise. This is just on the kitchen side as I don’t have any where else to do this. I heat my oil to 180 degrees celsius. I’ve noticed as my dough is rising, lots of air pockets form in the sides of the dough. When I fry my donuts, they don’t float to achieve the white ring. I fry them for around 1.5 mins per side. The texture is nice once fried, but they aren’t right.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Reaction score
I would get rid of the Tangzhong and use veg shortening instead of veg butter.

If they don't float the instant they go into the oil they're not ready to fry.

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I was also rolling them too thick and my cutting technique caused inconsistency. What thickness do you recommend that would still achieve a good sized donut?

Reaction score
Also, can I just ask why you think I should get rid of the tangzhong? I find it makes a lovely fluffy, chewy texture

Ask a Question