Vegetable based cakes?

Reaction score
We all know of carrot cake and how tasty it is, I was curious to know if there was another vegetable you use in cake that you have found that worked out well in a cake taste wise ect...? I think many of us wouldn't have thought carrots would taste good in a cake if we hadn't heard of it before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
There is also the sweet potato cake. Most people actually combine the two to make a sweet potato carrot cake.

Reaction score
I really don't know of any other vegetable based cakes other than carrot cake that most people eat. Normally, they (vegetable based sweets) tend to be breads. If it were re-shaped and iced, zucchini bread is sweet enough to be a cake and actually rival carrot cake in flavor and texture.

zucchini-bread-b.jpg
(Zucchini Bread)

Reaction score
I found a recipe for sweet potato cake if you are interested in it.

Ingredients
Cake

• 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1½ cups oil
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 cups sweet potatoes, grated
Icing

• ½ cup (1 stick) butter
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup pecans, chopped
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together sugar, eggs and oil. Add remaining ingredients one at a time, adding potatoes last.
  3. Coat 3 round 9-inch baking pans or 1 sheet cake pan with a nonstick spray. Spread batter into pans.
  4. Bake in round pans for 25 minutes or in a sheet cake pan for 35 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center to determine doneness. Cool in pans before turning out for frosting.
  5. To make the icing, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
  6. Spread on cooled cake, spreading between layers and on sides and top for round layers or over the top and sides of a sheet cake.
1650712JSO4694-1-FFcrop.jpg

Reaction score
Vegetable based cakes are actually becoming quite diverse, I think. Not only do we have the more obvious carrot cake and, as others have mentioned, sweet potato cake, but I've also seen people do things like butternut squash cake. Personally, I think beetroot works quite well when added to chocolate cake - it gives it a really rich colour and it tastes slightly denser.

Reaction score
That's a good question, I suppose any form of squash would work, but I'm at a loss of what else would work. You might be able to do something with jalapeno peppers. A local ice cream joint near me makes a jalapeno ice cream, which is surprisingly good with the vanilla flavored ice cream it is in. Corn makes a great cake, but that's a grain not a vegetable. Maybe a corn and jalapeno pound cake with a cinnamon topping?

Reaction score
I have only tried carrot, corn, potatoe and cabbage cakes and breads, but I have heard that it's possible make many others that may need to have an open-minded sense of taste though.

Reaction score
The sweet potato cake looks delicious, I will have to try that. I have only ever made carrot cake or zucchini bread that I iced to make it into more of a dessert. I am very interested in looking farther into this though as all of them that I have tried have been delicious.

Reaction score
We all know of carrot cake and how tasty it is, I was curious to know if there was another vegetable you use in cake that you have found that worked out well in a cake taste wise ect...? I think many of us wouldn't have thought carrots would taste good in a cake if we hadn't heard of it before.

I confess I've only made carrot cake. I've never heard of other vegetables used in cakes.
This is news to me. However, I am going to look for other cake recipes which use vegetables. This is a great way to make a tasty and healthy dessert.
Thanks so much for starting this informative thread.

Ask a Question