What would you want to see in a book about frosting?

Reaction score
I'm in the researching stage of writing a book about frosting, and would love to hear people's suggestions for it. It won't be just about cake decorating or just have frosting recipes (although of course both will be covered), but also include tips and advice you'll find nowhere else, like how to get your buttercream as white as possible or how to get more fruit flavor into it. Also, the many different types of frosting. What sorts of questions would you expect a book like that to answer?

Reaction score
Some questions that arise when I'm making frosting is common mistakes, how to avoid them, and how to "reverse" them. Such as if the flavor I'm anticipating becomes too strong, how would I take the over powering taste. Perhaps some tips you could also include are what types of frostings would go well with certain types of cake flavors. Another thing that would be helpful to include is how to obtain a certain texture for frostings. Good luck!! :)

Reaction score
I think it's important for basic information to in there and why it's important to follow certain directions rather than bypassing them. If you've ever tried to make butter cream frosting without sifting the confectioner's sugar or with butter that wasn't quite soft enough you know your end product is less than desirable! How about a basic understanding of fragility of certain frosting? Whipped cream and even butter cream don't stand up to heat. And that some frostings are super simple and NO canned frosting ever tasted as good as making your own fresh! I know these sound simple-minded, but I've been surprised at the number of people who think I'm working some kind of magic by making my own frosting, and it's really not all that hard.

Reaction score
Some questions that arise when I'm making frosting is common mistakes, how to avoid them, and how to "reverse" them. Such as if the flavor I'm anticipating becomes too strong, how would I take the over powering taste. Perhaps some tips you could also include are what types of frostings would go well with certain types of cake flavors. Another thing that would be helpful to include is how to obtain a certain texture for frostings. Good luck!! :)

That is brilliant, what a great suggestion!

Reaction score
I think my problem is that I do not know exactly what to do when frosting a cake. In a book of frosting I would love to see the different kinds of frosting, the stuff that can be use instead of the original and it is lay out word for word how to make it and apply it to the cake. It should state if the cake is to stay hot or cool or even place back in the oven.

Reaction score
I would like to see alternatives based on calories or butter or margarine for example. I do like Mrizzles' comments as well as how to pull yourself back up rather than scrapping a batch.

Reaction score
I'd want to see easy to do recipes on how to make homemade frosting. They should involve accessible ingredients and to-the-point steps. If possible, the kitchen tools necessary to complete these recipes should be similar.

Reaction score
How about a colour chart which suggests how much food colouring you need to achieve certain colours? You could also include what colours you can mix together, and what colours they make. It can be annoying when you're trying to make a vibrant colour for your icing but get the concentration wrong and it ends up really pale!

Reaction score
I absolutely would be interested in a book like this! This would be a great book not only for myself, but for my friends and family as well!
I would love to know different recipes and styles of making icing! I also would like know how to create different colors in my icing. (I definitely agree with cefmac about suggesting you include a color chart and different colors you could mix together.)
I also would like to know how to make desgins, flowers, and other additions out of icing for my cakes.

Reaction score
I love cefmac's idea, a color template would be a great help.

What I would love to see are templates for simple decorations, like leaves and rosettes, and maybe some instructions for more advanced designs and lettering.

If you incorporate the suggestions on here, this is going to be one amazing book. How's it going so far?

Ask a Question