Why did you start baking?

Reaction score
I remember starting because I wanted to make something with my own hands. I wanted that fulfillment. I always thought that baking was a way to make other people happy. And I wanted to be able to do that so I started baking.

Reaction score
Well I started baking about a month and half ago or so. As an avid cook all my life, it was mind bogglingly that I didn't know how to do any type of desserts. I love cooking for people, but the lack of dessert or a store bought dessert just stuck out like a sore thumb.

Reaction score
I love anything art related, and Baking is just another medium to express my creative side. I also love to make things with my own hands, and it's exciting to see how the finish product turns out!

Reaction score
I started baking because of boredom. I saw interesting and cute recipes online; I thought it would be good past time. I soon found out that it is an interesting past time, which can be quite frustrating if you're experimenting.

Reaction score
I love anything art related, and Baking is just another medium to express my creative side. I also love to make things with my own hands, and it's exciting to see how the finish product turns out!

You sound like me. I like doing creative work and baking is another way to make things and be creative. Once you've baked a cake or cupcake, you can be as weird as you want with decorating it. I also love the alchemy of taking ingredients and magically turning them into a cake.

Reaction score
I started baking because I have always been interested in food and nutrition in general, and since a young age my mother taught me how to bake. I think it is a very valuable skill that certainly comes in useful later on in life, and plus it's a fun hobby too!

Reaction score
I was actually forced into baking..haha..it was in middle school back home in Asia and Home Economics was a compulsory subject for the first two year. There was no way around it and soon I started cooking and baking. I guess, eating the delicious cake baked by my classmates prompted me to take it more seriously and soon I was baking at least once every two weeks.

Reaction score
I started baking because I find it is a lot of fun doing it. It makes me satisfied knowing I've created something out of the raw ingredients. Not using tons of additives! :p

Reaction score
I have always cooked and baked for as long as I can remember. My great grandmother got me started with all her recipes she brought over from Germany. My grandmother on the other hand could bake wonderfully but was unable to cook a meal. Burnt chops followed by light and fluffy cake..HA My childhood was interesting. My mother hated to cook so once she taught me the basics she got me a cookbook and let me loose in the kitchen. I am funny about food so it just made it easier to teach me how to bake and cook and give me a couple of books to work the rest of it out.

Reaction score
I was raised in a large family (six kids, two parents, and a grandparent living with us) in a remote rural area. We did all kinds of chores around the property, but baking was one of the fun ones. The knowledge served me well in bachelorhood and I can help my wife as need be. :)

Reaction score
My grandmother started teaching me when I was very young. She let me help roll out dough, and cut out cookie shapes to start out with. It was some of the best times of my life with her. There are so many great memories, and I now try to teach my children what she taught me.

Reaction score
I think mostly I started baking because I like to eat! My first experiences with cooking were baking desserts. When I got married I knew how to make all sorts of desserts but had to learn how to cook meals! Now I enjoy both but my creativity really comes out more in my baking. For a time when my kids were young I'd make and decorate a special cake for them each year for their birthdays. That got the attention of others in the family and I'd do cakes for special occasions. I never got too fancy, but could manage to make a sheet or round cake look very pretty.

Mortontfrh, I found your comment very interesting. I have a friend who sounds like a chef at a fancy restaurant when she talks about the amazing meals she prepares....and today she asked for prayers when she was going to make her husband a cake he requested. It seems funny to me that a person can cook awesome meals but not be able to bake. Did you find it hard to pick up baking when you tried it?

Reaction score
My grandmother started teaching me when I was very young. She let me help roll out dough, and cut out cookie shapes to start out with. It was some of the best times of my life with her. There are so many great memories, and I now try to teach my children what she taught me.

I had a crappy childhood but I've been teaching my daughter how to bake and starting traditions with her, so hopefully I'll be the grandmother that passes baking down to future generations.

Reaction score
I had a crappy childhood but I've been teaching my daughter how to bake and starting traditions with her, so hopefully I'll be the grandmother that passes baking down to future generations.

Oh, I'm sure you will. A tradition started is a great thing!

Reaction score
I started baking for budget reasons and health reasons. It's just so much more cost-effective and the food is so much more healthier. Plus, it tastes better! Well, after you learn how to get it right. :oops:

Reaction score
I started baking for budget reasons, i have 5 kids and they love cookies and all the sweet stuff so its much cheaper to do everything self at home and its much tastier!! When i bake i like to bake 3 or 4 different kinds of stuff so that they can pick and choose!! :p

Reaction score
I originally started baking with my children. I found it very relaxing and fun. It is a great way to spend time with your children and encourage them to be creative. My eldest daughter still recalls fond memories of her baking time with me, especially when she was a little girl.

Reaction score
I originally started baking with my children. I found it very relaxing and fun. It is a great way to spend time with your children and encourage them to be creative. My eldest daughter still recalls fond memories of her baking time with me, especially when she was a little girl.

That's really sweet. I think it's beautiful to create memories like that with your children, that's why I'm trying to start new traditions with my daughter.

Reaction score
I would always back from time to time, mainly just instant stuff. When I got married it really picked up more and I started trying new things and baking from scratch. My husband is a huge desert person, so that was my motivation. Now its just something I love to do. I like making them more than eating it.

Reaction score
I don't bake as much as I would like to lately but want to take it back up again. When I do bake I really enjoy it because I like to taste something fresh from the oven as well as experiment with trying new things. Store bought baked goods don't always taste the same.

Ask a Question