Your favorite overripe banana recipes?

Reaction score
I have a ton of bananas that are overripe right now, and there's only so much banana bread a gal can make! Don't get me wrong - I love banana bread, but does anyone else have any good recipes for yummy baked treats that involve overripe bananas?

Would love to hear your suggestions if you have some! :)

Reaction score
Ripe bananas can be use in making banana muffin, banana pancake, banana smoothies and banana ice cream. This are only some of the recipes that you can make for an overripe banana. There are many versions of recipes that you can search either in the internet or in a cooking and baking books. But my favorite is the banana muffin which is really delicious!

Reaction score
My mother-in-law actually makes banana cookies. I think she may have just used the banana bread recipe and made cookies instead. But you might want to check on the internet first...... ;) The ones she made were light and fluffy and came out just like banana bread except in cookie form. I also freeze my bananas without the peel. They stay pretty well for months until you are ready to use in a recipe. Also, my daughter uses frozen bananas in smoothies - right out of freezer - no thawing - unless you want them mushy! LOL ;)

Reaction score
Well I thought that I have really experimented as much as is possible with bananas that are no good to eat on their own, but I have to say thank you to @ReadmeByAmy for bringing up banana ice cream. I am not sure how to go about making this, but I certainly going to look more into it. This sounds like something that is perfect for me, especially in this terrible heat that we are experiencing now. Thanks again.

Reaction score
I haven't found the best bananas in the stores here lately, so I haven't even had enough to make banana bread. I came across this page recently, though, and would like to try it out when I have an abundance of bananas, especially ones that are yellow-ripe or just starting to soften. I don't care for brown bananas, and use those strictly for banana bread, since it masks the age of the fruit. Initially, I came across a site that just mentioned mashing the bananas and called that ice cream, but in my opinion, ice cream needs more than just one ingredient, and I like the idea of taking it up a notch by adding in some pungent spices and/or other flavorings.

Reaction score
We don't regularly buy bananas anymore. No reason at all, maybe just forgetting about that fruit because of other fruits in season particularly avocado. But anyway, what we do with overripe or excess banana is to make it into a banana pudding. We use leftover bread, one piece for every banana. When there is no leftover bread, even new bread will do although breaking the new bread into little pieces is harder. With evaporated and condensed milk plus sugar and egg yolk, it it a healthy mixture that is easy to bake. What's good is the resulting pudding is always a hit in the house.

PS. We have tried other fruits in this recipe but the banana is the best. My husband said it's not really pudding but can be called banana muffin.

Reaction score
The cookies and the oat bars sound like perfect ideas - I add bananas to smoothies already! I am obsessed with smoothies as a quick breakfast at this time of the year, since I think they're awesome when it's hot out!

Reaction score
Yeah, I usually do banana bread. I also do the same recipe but make it into muffins. They freeze well, and it's convenient to pop one out as someone wants one. Warm it through and done.

Banana pancakes are good. Banana cake could work also. I've heard (haven't tried it yet) that you can used mashed banana in place of oil, just like you would do with applesauce.

Reaction score
Yeah, I usually do banana bread. I also do the same recipe but make it into muffins. They freeze well, and it's convenient to pop one out as someone wants one. Warm it through and done.

Banana pancakes are good. Banana cake could work also. I've heard (haven't tried it yet) that you can used mashed banana in place of oil, just like you would do with applesauce.
I was just talking about the freezing of baked goods. I have never frozen any kind of baked good. I either eat it all up or sometimes it's left in the fridge until it's time to get rid of it. I just asked @Diane Lane how this freezing works. I am always worried about water being in anything I freeze. I just got some bananas from my mom and I won't mind making an extra bread and freezing it.

Reaction score
I was just talking about the freezing of baked goods. I have never frozen any kind of baked good. I either eat it all up or sometimes it's left in the fridge until it's time to get rid of it. I just asked @Diane Lane how this freezing works. I am always worried about water being in anything I freeze. I just got some bananas from my mom and I won't mind making an extra bread and freezing it.

The last I had bananas I needed to use, I made muffins. I used the jumbo muffin pan, so they were large. I split one with my daughter (I'm always trying to limit carbs). I didn't want them to sit around and tempt me, so I wrapped them in cling wrap and put them in freezer bags, squishing out all the air. They held up great. They were in the freezer for a few weeks and still tasted fresh when she would pop one out.

Reaction score
Interesting to see some of the replies here! I personally use overripe bananas for banana nut bread or muffins. Other than that, as long as the actual banana isnt brown, I just mash it up and add it to vanilla yogurt. Its good!

Ask a Question