What's your favorite thing to bake?

Reaction score
We all have our preferences, whether it's the recipe, the ease of making something, or because we grew up with it........

What is your favorite thing to bake, just for yourself ?

SK.Baking.jpg

Reaction score
My favorite is fudge brownies with butterscotch and peanut butter chips in it.
(I also put in pecans and walnuts......mmmm)

Rich-Chocolate-Butterscotch-Brownies.jpg

Reaction score
Yum! Stop.it. :)

It's funny you ask that, I was just wondering about a cake I used to make years ago, a very simple recipe my stepmother gave me once that was from her church circles way back when. I Googled, and just found out apparently it is called a Do-Nothing Cake (which I never knew). No oil or butter, just a simple can of crushed pineapple, flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda into a simple 13 x 9 sheet cake, or "tray bake" as they call it on Bake-Off. Which I realize was not how I used to make it. I added coconut and chopped walnuts to the batter, and did a cream cheese frosting with whole toasted walnuts and toasted coconut on top. This came to mind when I saw the Hummingbird cake recipe recently brought up on this forum, and which I want to try! Only it's with pecans rather than walnuts.

But, I may throw together a Do-Nothing Cake one of these days just for old time's sake.

I think my new go-to is that Asian-style sponge cake roll I've now made three times with slight varieties. So light, made with whipped egg whites, a bit of light oil instead of butter, and cooked in a water-bath. The thing that surprised me was the egg yolk/flour mixture is SO dense that it takes quite a bit of lightening with egg whites before the remainder will fold in. Last time I whipped up the egg yolk/half the sugar separately to lighten it a bit. I can't wait to tinker with it and make a coffee version, a matcha version, and fruit versions. (This was my original source: http://www.writing-temptations.net/...ing_wp_cron=1505665289.2715768814086914062500)

Reaction score
Yum! Stop.it. :)

It's funny you ask that, I was just wondering about a cake I used to make years ago, a very simple recipe my stepmother gave me once that was from her church circles way back when. I Googled, and just found out apparently it is called a Do-Nothing Cake (which I never knew). No oil or butter, just a simple can of crushed pineapple, flour, sugar, eggs, baking soda into a simple 13 x 9 sheet cake, or "tray bake" as they call it on Bake-Off. Which I realize was not how I used to make it. I added coconut and chopped walnuts to the batter, and did a cream cheese frosting with whole toasted walnuts and toasted coconut on top. This came to mind when I saw the Hummingbird cake recipe recently brought up on this forum, and which I want to try! Only it's with pecans rather than walnuts.

But, I may throw together a Do-Nothing Cake one of these days just for old time's sake.

I think my new go-to is that Asian-style sponge cake roll I've now made three times with slight varieties. So light, made with whipped egg whites, a bit of light oil instead of butter, and cooked in a water-bath. The thing that surprised me was the egg yolk/flour mixture is SO dense that it takes quite a bit of lightening with egg whites before the remainder will fold in. Last time I whipped up the egg yolk/half the sugar separately to lighten it a bit. I can't wait to tinker with it and make a coffee version, a matcha version, and fruit versions. (This was my original source: http://www.writing-temptations.net/...ing_wp_cron=1505665289.2715768814086914062500)

That reminds me of the Cuppa, Cuppa, Cuppa Cake.
Cuppa fruit cocktail
Cuppa flour
Cuppa sugar

Bake till gold and bubbly.

Don't know why they call it a cake though, it's more of a cobbler.
I also add nuts to this, to make it much better, and it goes with French Vanilla Ice Cream really nicely.

Reaction score
Never heard of that one! Wow, I'll bet it's sweet! Fruit cocktail is so sweet to me to begin with, then all that sugar.

Reaction score
Never heard of that one! Wow, I'll bet it's sweet! Fruit cocktail is so sweet to me to begin with, then all that sugar.

Yeah, it's best to get the "no sugar added" fruit cocktail. Or get the generic brand, as they have less sugar than the name brands.

You can also drain the syrup and just add one cup of fruit juice instead. I find that pear or peach juice works the best for me for this recipe.

Reaction score
I think my other favorite thing is raisin cookies with royal icing.

I like a sugar cookie with raisins in it, and then covered with a nice, hard royal icing. OMG those are so good!

I like oatmeal, but despise oatmeal cookies. And putting raisins in an oatmeal cookie, well thats just wrong.

Mothers brand cookies used to make these cookies, but I haven't seen them in years, so I don't know if they still make them or not.

But yeah.....brownies or sugar/raisin cookies are my favs.

RumRaisinShortbread_500top.jpg

00027800000467_full.jpg

Reaction score
They look nice! Almost like currant scones. I'm the opposite, I like oatmeal in cookies, but I really don't care much for oatmeal - or didn't until I improvised something that actually solved my oatmeal issue - texture. I made pumpkin spice oatmeal, using about 1/3 can of pumpkin puree to a cup of rolled oats, scant sugar, pumpkin spices, and either milk or almond milk. The puree takes away the wallpaper-paste texture of cooked oatmeal. I've been meaning to try it with an unsweetened applesauce in place of the pumpkin to see if that works.

Reaction score
Hi ChesterV! I'm new to this baking forum, but I have been making this GF Oatmeal Raisin recipe and am addicted! They are super easy to make and are always a crowd pleaser! (I think my dad eats at least 5 in one sitting...) let me know if you would like the recipe!! :)
IMG_3009.JPG

Reaction score
My favourite thing to bake is a lemon tart (I use Mary Berry's recipe, link) and it's usually a fantastic hit with people who try it. Lovely with cream or something light to offset the citrusy kick it can give.

I find the process of making it really relaxing, and it takes a good 2 hours so it's good for a bit of distraction from daily life. Here's a picture of when I once made it:

lemon tart.png

Ask a Question