Am i the only one who can't stand the red velvet craze?

Reaction score
There is a very good recipe for red velvet cake in the Lee Bros. Southern cookbook that has orange juice and orange rind in it, which offsets the cocoa flavor. There is a bit if artificial color, because it is, after all, Red Velvet Cake, but you taste the subtle orange and chocolate which makes it quite sophisticated.

Reaction score
To be honest I don't think I've had red velvet cake but I'm sure than can be several variations on the recipe to make sure that it comes out flavorful. I'm surprised that there haven't been color substitutions for red food dye like a vegetable version like beet juice (well, I guess that wouldn't make it taste as good) or raspberries to give it the color without adding so much food dye.

Reaction score
I think I like red velvet cake because it's perfect with cream cheese. I don't find chocolate with cream cheese or vanilla with cream cheese as good as it would paired with red velvet. I'm actually making red velvet cake right now!

Reaction score
I can not say that I love red velvet but I do not mind eating eat but then again I am a chocolate lovers over all and I do not really have a sweet tooth. I do admire the way you have to make red velvet cake because it is pretty specific so if you are looking to improve your skills you could always try and make a red velvet cake and get good at it.

Reaction score
I agree, red velvet cake taste a little plain. My family loves red velvet cake during the holidays. I wasn't impressed when I first tried it. I liked the cream cheese icing and pecans. I thought the color was pretty and red. I eat red velvet cake during the holidays.

Reaction score
When prepared properly, red velvet is super delicious. Unfortunately, most people don't put enough oil in the mix, so this cake turns out dry. So, you need to get a slice from an expert baker - someone who's been baking red velvet cakes for at least a decade.

What red velvet cake should look like . . .
1984158163_1385000497.jpg

Reaction score
I do think it's a little overrated but then again I like it, too, I just don't get the craze all of the sudden either. And I don't even like the frosting usually xD.

Reaction score
I've never liked cake, so this is something I haven't tried yet.. doesn't sound very good and I would never make anything that requires food colouring. Although someone mentioned an alternative above; that's an idea. It looks neat, but I'm not tempted at all.

Reaction score
I think the isue is there are too many bad red velvet products on the shelves. Everyone jumped on the craze so fast that they will just use any recipe, many people don't even know what good red velvet taste like. One thing I am sick of is these silly red velet knock off , red velvet coffee or brownies or donuts enough already stop it.

Reaction score
I have only had red velvet cake twice. My first experience was not good but the second was delicious! I agree that it all depends on where you get it!

Reaction score
I've neither tasted it nor tried making it either. What puts me off is the look of it - I know you can get natural food colorings now that don't have any nasty chemicals in them, but still, I can't bring myself to find the redness appetizing. I'm the same with rainbow cake - it looks amazing, but it just isn't appetizing to me at all.

Reaction score
Well I had Red Velvet cake late last year for the first time. It was a box mix and I found it quite tasty. I hope to make it from scratch some time in the future. I did not realize there was a craze at one time but I guess that isn't surprising. I imagine the craze is no longer there?

Reaction score
Oh my god thank you!! I can seriously give you a huge hug right now.

I don't even remember when this "craze" came out but at first I thought it was kinda cool/odd that the cake was red, and always thought it was just red food dye added in until one of my cousin's girlfriend told me that there's cocoa powder or something in it. I've had many red velvet cakes before but I honestly can't tell the difference between a red velvet cake and a really good chocolate cake.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of red velvet because I can't see the appeal in it (since it tastes like a chocolate cake anyway), and plus if I wanted chocolate cake I'd get like a german chocolate cake or something :p But all in all, I'm a vanilla cake fan all the way.

Reaction score
I had one from Georgetown Cupcake and it was nice, but I still never understood all the hype and why it was so special. I still don't? It was well hyped and looks glamorous, but really it's a fairy cake with a lot of icing on top to me.

Reaction score
I don't have red velvet cake very often, but when I do... best day of my life, lol. I know a lot food coloring is used, but I know almost everything we it has artificial coloring... unless you are one of those people avoiding all processed foods. If you are, kudos, because I've been trying to do that lately, but isn't easy at all.

I honestly don't know why I like that cake, isn't one of my fav ones tho :) I still prefer a chocolate one anytime :D

Reaction score
I don't have red velvet cake very often, but when I do... best day of my life, lol. I know a lot food coloring is used, but I know almost everything we it has artificial coloring... unless you are one of those people avoiding all processed foods. If you are, kudos, because I've been trying to do that lately, but isn't easy at all.

I honestly don't know why I like that cake, isn't one of my fav ones tho :) I still prefer a chocolate one anytime :D

Have you had it from scratch or from a box like me. When I came to the forum and heard all the talk about it I felt left out and as I said in an earlier post I found a box cake in the supermarket and decided to give it a try. It turned out well as most box cakes do but I would be happy to be able to make it from scratch.

Reaction score
The first time I had tasted a Red Velvet Cake is during a treat of one of my co worker in the office during her birthday which she bought in a bakeshop. It's new to me during that time and out of curiosity I am excited what is the taste of that kind of cake. But when I am already eating it slowly the taste does not interest me. Although it had chocolate and cream frosting which are my favorite maybe it is because of the red color flavoring.

Reaction score
Have you had it from scratch or from a box like me. When I came to the forum and heard all the talk about it I felt left out and as I said in an earlier post I found a box cake in the supermarket and decided to give it a try. It turned out well as most box cakes do but I would be happy to be able to make it from scratch.

From scratch and from a box :) The one from scratch had a more intense cocoa flavour, the icing was made with actual cream cheese!!!! =D So it was really delicious!!!! I loved it, but it must have had something to do with that person's recipe... I guess I'd need to test out several recipes ;) As for the box one, well it was ok :) They used the commercial icing for that one.

Reaction score
the red velvet cakes look great and taste pretty good,of course that has a lot to do with who makes it and what they use in it

I like em,but there nothing special,other than the way they look :)

Reaction score
I was thinking about this cake just the other day. I made one that I spoke about back in March but it was a box cake. Months down the road and I still have not made any from scratch. It's still on my list of things to do but I guess I am not rushing.

Ask a Question