Baked Burns

Reaction score
Hi. I make amazing cakes. I really, honestly do and that's probably the only positive thing I have ever said about myself. Strangely enough, it's the simple recipes that I fail at - mostly because I get so busy with other things that I forget to take things out of the oven. My husband has stopped requesting chocolate chip cookies because I burn them every time. lol With cakes, I watch them like a hawk, though. I don't know why I'm like this. I'm trying to improve. Is there any baked item or recipe that you forget to take out of the oven? Why do you think that is? Because it's not your favorite thing to bake, because it's hard to time right, or because you're just so busy?

Reaction score
Maybe it's like you said;you're so focused on getting the more complicated things right that you're constantly thinking of what you need to do, what you need to keep an eye on, the timer and everything, so that you're never not worrying about what's currently in the oven.

Meanwhile if you're making the 'simple' things, you end up thinking, 'Oh well, this is simple! Nothing to worry about!'

Reaction score
Ha ha! I think that must be it! My family thinks it's the funniest thing. "How can she make cakes like this and yet come up with charcoal cookies every time?!"

Reaction score
I am the worst at peanut butter cookies because if the color of the dough. I put them in the oven for about 10 minutes and they just don't look done. I then add time and they come out too crunchy. I have forced myself to start pulling them out of the oven after 10 minutes!

Reaction score
I am the worst at peanut butter cookies because if the color of the dough. I put them in the oven for about 10 minutes and they just don't look done. I then add time and they come out too crunchy. I have forced myself to start pulling them out of the oven after 10 minutes!

Haha! Don't worry. I am too! But I find that I can remedy their crunchiness by storing them in the freezer. I can't explain why, but they tend to regain moisture and softness that way. Try it!

Reaction score
Haha! Don't worry. I am too! But I find that I can remedy their crunchiness by storing them in the freezer. I can't explain why, but they tend to regain moisture and softness that way. Try it!
I guess it would be because they're surrounded by all that ice...but you wouldn't think that there would be enough moisture around that wasn't currently turning into ice for the cookies to pick up.

Reaction score
I guess it would be because they're surrounded by all that ice...but you wouldn't think that there would be enough moisture around that wasn't currently turning into ice for the cookies to pick up.

I know. I don't quite understand the mechanics of it but it's worked for all kinds of dried-out baked goodies, like breads, cookies, etc.

Reaction score
When I was starting out, I'd often watch the cookies like a hawk and still burn them, because they always felt too soft when I stuck them with a toothpick. I never trusted that they would set just right if I just took them out at "golden brown" and let them cool. Nowadays, I'm much more relaxed about it. A friend of mind advised against going by the look or even the texture, and just pull them out when the aroma of the cookies is at its strongest. (Which, come to think of it, I can't tell until it's over that hump and begins to become less aromatic, but...still a tip I keep in mind.)

Reaction score
I'm with you, the thing I always forget to take out of the oven is cookies. Its like they don't have so much importance in the oven as cakes, or pie. I always forget the cookies. I find that if I use my alarm clock or a noisy timer then I won't forget that its in the oven.

Reaction score
I know. I don't quite understand the mechanics of it but it's worked for all kinds of dried-out baked goodies, like breads, cookies, etc.
Well I'll have to try this myself the next time I ruin something. Just managed to defrost our horrendously frozen over freezer yesterday as well so there's actually some space in there for once.

Reaction score
I never forget for sure. I've only been really cooking or anything for year and a half, and I am still really afraid to burn anything. However, I have slightly over-baked some things. It usually happens when I have baked something few times, and I get too comfortable with how long it takes to get ready. You need to check on things. Slight change in what you are making can change the time it takes to cook. For example- I over-baked some oven baked potatoes, because I thought I know exactly how long they take, but I used a different type of potatoes, and they ended baking faster.

Reaction score
I tend to over bake biscuits and burn the bottoms. It is just so frustrating! I guess I just get busy with other parts of the meal and forget they are in the oven until I smell the over baked smell. Then I have to start all over again with them.

Reaction score
I tend to over bake biscuits and burn the bottoms. It is just so frustrating! I guess I just get busy with other parts of the meal and forget they are in the oven until I smell the over baked smell. Then I have to start all over again with them.
I have to ask;how on earth are you managing to only burn the bottom of the biscuits and not the entire thing?

Reaction score
I have to ask;how on earth are you managing to only burn the bottom of the biscuits and not the entire thing?

Oh, I do it all the time too. lol It's something to do with the pans/baking sheets she and I are using. I don't throw the biscuits out, I just slice the bottoms off and serve them anyway. ;)

Reaction score
My biggest issue baking is burning pie crusts.

Certain types of pies require long baking times. For example, sweet potato pies take a while to cook. So, unless I cover up the edges (of crust) with foil, I burn them without fail. It's so irritating.

Reaction score
Hey ladies what about set the timer on the oven? This is something that i have to ensure as i am always doing a million things at once.

Ask a Question