Buttersc-AH-tch!

Reaction score
AH! Butterscotch.

Better than chocolate!!!! Well, to me anyway. But it's very difficult to find GOOD, REAL butterscotch!

Believe it or not, Butterscotch does NOT contain Scotch alcohol! "Scotch" in Butterscotch was originally a derivative of the word scorch (as in scorching butter and sugar to make candy) or because the recipe supposedly originated in Scotland.

Butterscotch is similar to caramel, but the results are different. Caramel has milk or cream in it, as Butterscotch does not.

There are varying degrees of types of Butterscotch's, but this recipe is supposedly the one used to make the candy. This recipe was derived from the original Scottish recipe by a British candy maker back in the 1800's.

7976893087_4503474b99.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
1848 Recipe for Butterscotch

What You'll Need
  • 1 pound granulated sugar
  • 1 pound unsalted butter (or try using salted. You still might need to add some more salt, so taste to see)
  • 4 oz molasses** (See Note, not blackstrap)
  • 10-14 grams fine sea salt , or to taste (about 2-2 1/2 teaspoons)
What To Do
  1. Cut a strip of non-stick foil to the same width as the bottom of an 8" or 9" baking dish. Line the pan, making sure the edges of the foil extend up and over opposite sides of the pan. Don't worry about the unlined sides.
  2. Spray the whole shebang very well with pan spray, especially the unlined sides. Set aside on a heat-proof surface.
  3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
  4. Stir in the sugar, molasses and salt.
  5. When the mixture is good and liquidy, increase the heat to medium to medium-high, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  6. Cook the candy to 250F and then pour into your prepared pan.
  7. Let sit out until barely warm, and then score the candy for later cutting. Run a thin spatula between the unlined sides of the pan and the butterscotch, and put it in the fridge to firm up completely.
  8. Remove to a cutting board sprayed with pan spray, and cut into whatever shapes you want. This will make about 65-80 pieces of butterscotch, depending on how you cut them. Or it might only make four pieces, but I wouldn't advise that.
  9. Store, covered, in the fridge.
Recipe Notes
**4 oz of molasses by weight. If you don't have a scale (please buy one), reader Millie says the amount by volume is 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of unsulfured molasses.

To make authentic butterscotch sauce, cook the ingredients to 240F.

To make a firmer candy that will hold its shape at room temperature, cook the ingredients to 260-280F, realizing that the higher the temperature, the firmer it will set up when it cools.

If you cook the ingredients to 305-310F, you've just made toffee, so pour it onto a Silpat-lined baking sheet covered with Toasted Nuts of choice, although almond is traditional.

Reaction score
Butterscotch Blondies

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup butter (softened) or 3/4 cup margarine ( softened)
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 2/3 cups butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup walnuts
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Grease 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
  3. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl until creamy.
  4. Add eggs; beat well.
  5. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, blending well.
  6. Stir in butterscotch chips and nuts.
  7. Spread into prepared pan.
  8. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top is golden brown and center is set.
  9. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
  10. Cut into bars.

Butterscotch-Blondies-2.jpg

Reaction score
Okay, yum!

Curious, if you made this, what type/brand of molasses did you use? I made "gingerbread biscotti" a few years ago and instead of getting dough I could shape into a loaf for the first bake, I had a slightly thick cake batter consistency. My guess is that I used a totally different type and weight of molasses from the author. It's possible I screwed up in some other way, but, I've been hesitant to bake with molasses since then. I saw an America's Test Kitchen comparison of molasses, and that's what leads me to think I just had a fairly wet variety.

Ask a Question