Cake in a Mug!

Reaction score
Now, this is awesome! Found out that I could make desserts just by mixing ingredients and putting it into a mug. How convenient is that? Tell me how it goes for you! :) (Recipe from Steph's Bite by Bite)

Here is a recipe to make a BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE IN A MUG! *drooling already*:

1/2 tablespoon butter

1/4 teaspon sugar

1 tablespoon brown rice syrup

2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce

3 drops of vanilla extract

1/4 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

2 tablespoons blueberries

Streusel:

1/2 tablespoon butter

1 heaping teaspoon of flour

1 tablespoon brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

In a coffee mug or cup soften 1/2 tablespoon of butter in microwave for 5 seconds. Then stir in the sugar and brown rice syrup, mixing well. Add in the applesauce, vanilla, flour, baking powder, salt, stirring until just combined. Add in the blueberries and gently mix in to the batter.

Reaction score
Sounds easy! It sounds like it would taste like a blueberry crumble with the brown sugar. What is brown rice syrup and where can I get it? I have never heard of this before, nor used it in baking. If I can't, is there anything you would suggest as a substitute?

Reaction score
Brown rice syrup is just a healthier version of a sweetener. It has more of a mellow taste, but it will satisfy the sweet tooth. You will be able to find it in the baking aisle of your local grocery store. If not, a substitute could be maply syrup. Tell me how it goes when you've tried it out!

Ask a Question