cheese & onion sourdough crumpets: a teatime twist!

Reaction score
A simple savoury treat, using some of the sourdough starter that gets discarded when feeding it.
Great toasted, buttered and with a chivey cream cheese!

Recipe:
https://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com/2016/03/05/cheese-onion-sourdough-crumpets/

One is never enough!

sourdough-cheese-and-onion-crumpets-4.jpg

sourdough-cheese-and-onion-crumpets-1.jpg

Reaction score
They look and sound delicious! My husband would love these :D
I have to agree that they look and sound delicious. I actually intended to start a thread about crumpets when I found out we were dining at @ChesterV's house. The sour dough and the feeding are a whole other story. Just talking about sour dough is intimidating.

Reaction score
I have to agree that they look and sound delicious. I actually intended to start a thread about crumpets when I found out we were dining at @ChesterV's house. The sour dough and the feeding are a whole other story. Just talking about sour dough is intimidating.

Dinner at my place huh? LOL.
Guess that means I have to clean???

Sour dough really isn't that difficult. The starter is easy to make, and so many ways to make it.
It's Sour Dough bread is just really time consuming. It really isn't difficult at all.

But it's OH SO WORTH IT!!!!

Reaction score
Dinner at my place huh? LOL.
Guess that means I have to clean???

Sour dough really isn't that difficult. The starter is easy to make, and so many ways to make it.
It's Sour Dough bread is just really time consuming. It really isn't difficult at all.

But it's OH SO WORTH IT!!!!
I always hear how easy the sour dough is but I am still not convinced. I'd much rather try my hand at something like crumpets plain and simple. I am am the 'easy peasy' baker.

Reaction score
I was actually looking for something like this. I read the recipe and they look like something that we make in Serbia. That is, before you bake them. The batter looks like that Serbian dish, However, we fry these and I cannot decide by looking at pictures or ingredients whether these could be fried. We usually take a spoonful of batter and fry in hot oil. They come out a bit fluffier than these but very similar and because they are free to wander around oil they get some funny looking shape. The only way to find out is to try it out. :)

Reaction score
Wow, they simply look incredibly tasty, cheese along with onion and a sauce has always been one of the best combination to make in the kitchen.
I always hear how easy the sour dough is but I am still not convinced. I'd much rather try my hand at something like crumpets plain and simple. I am am the 'easy peasy' baker.
I also thought in the first place that sourdough it's a little more difficult to make than people were suggesting, after a while you get used to it and realize it's actually as easy as people have described before.

Reaction score
I was actually looking for something like this. I read the recipe and they look like something that we make in Serbia. That is, before you bake them. The batter looks like that Serbian dish, However, we fry these and I cannot decide by looking at pictures or ingredients whether these could be fried. We usually take a spoonful of batter and fry in hot oil. They come out a bit fluffier than these but very similar and because they are free to wander around oil they get some funny looking shape. The only way to find out is to try it out. :)

The batter is simply spooned into rings and gently shallow-fried in a tiny amount of butter, very slowly,,although you don't need the rings and can have fun, fairly random shapes. Mind you, either way, fhey taste great

Reaction score
Those sound very good. Crumpets are not as popular in the US, but I happen to love them. I have only tried the basic kind with honey on top, but I am going to have to give these a whirl.

Reaction score
Wow, they simply look incredibly tasty, cheese along with onion and a sauce has always been one of the best combination to make in the kitchen.

I also thought in the first place that sourdough it's a little more difficult to make than people were suggesting, after a while you get used to it and realize it's actually as easy as people have described before.
Since everyone says it's not really that difficult maybe some time before the turn of the century I am going to try it. I honestly get almost terrified at the thought of attempting it. Maybe the time involved might be contributing to my fear of attempting it.

Ask a Question