Children's Mud-Pie cake

Reaction score
Fresh out of talking about the mess the kids can make baking I stumbled on this recipe. The name alone sounds fun.:)

1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup of cooking oil
1 tbsp.vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. water
1 gal. heavy duty plastic bag (sealable)

In plastic bag, place the flour, sugar. cocoa, soda and salt. Seal bag and shake to mix well. Put this mixture into and ungreased 8x8 x2 inch baking pan.

Use a table fork to make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture. Mix oil, vanilla and vinegar; pour into the the hole. Pour water into the hole.

Stir together all ingredients with fork. Mix well. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes.

Serve with ice cream, chocolate syrup and a cherry.

Reaction score
That sounds really good. I wonder if that could work with a gluten free mix. It doesn't seem to have a crust though, but I guess that's to make it look like a mud pie.

Reaction score
That is super cute! I am definitely going to let my kids make this with me. We can get some of those gummy worm candies to go on top of them too! Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
That is super cute! I am definitely going to let my kids make this with me. We can get some of those gummy worm candies to go on top of them too! Thanks for sharing!

I am glad you like it. You can always trust me to find the recipes. It's finding the time to make the goodies that is my problem. Had big plans for the weekend and ended up trying a "two ingredient" cookie that was not outstanding. I am hopeful I can get to try most of what I have been posting and some other easy cakes I have seen others sharing. I am trying to graduate from the box cakes.

Reaction score
Another seriously cute recipe Wintery! Do you have young kids in your home still? Or just a knack for finding adorable recipes? This is another one my boys would love to try :).

Reaction score
Another seriously cute recipe Wintery! Do you have young kids in your home still? Or just a knack for finding adorable recipes? This is another one my boys would love to try :).

I do have a young kid. He is in his early twenties:). So to your other question I have just been searching and searching for fun and appropriate recipes for the forum. I also want to be able to find simple things I can try. It's getting into my busy season so I might not be able to do much but I so want my "kid" to learn to navigate in the kitchen better.

Tried to get him involved this weekend but he was in his books or so he claimed. I like the whole "mud pie' idea. Tried the a two ingredient cookie this weekend as I was a little under the weather. Even after cheating and adding a few more ingredients it was not outstanding.

Reaction score
Haha well, boys do mature a bit differently, right? ;) That's too bad that he doesn't want to learn with you, maybe when he gets a bit older. Sorry about your cookie experience, I find baking when being under the weather doesn't always give the best results...hopefully next time you'll knock it out of the park ;).

Reaction score
The cookie experience had a lot to do with the cookie recipe and not everything to do with me being under the weather. Granted, it was because of my being under the weather that I wanted to try something supper easy.

I did my usual quick search and came up with a 2 ingredient cookie. I posted the recipe and You Tube video in the Cookie section of the forum. If you get the chance you can look it up and see why it could not have been super successful even if I was in fine health.:(

Back to the mud pie cake. I am still hoping to try that some time soon. It's going to be a bit hectic now as I have to pull some long hours at work.

Reaction score
I am not sure I would dare to try this one, but it doss sound good. Maybe after seeing a picture I would feel more courageous ;) I like to see pictures before I try any new recipe.

Reaction score
PA1106_Miss_Mud_Cake.jpg.rend.sni12col.landscape.jpeg
That's the best looking one I have seen. Stumble on this thread and did not realise there were not photos to go by.Most look a real mess. This one is from Paula Deen.

Reaction score
I'll have to wait until my little one is old enough to help me with this - right now she's only a baby but I'm already looking forward to fun times like these when she's old enough to be involved in the kitchen!

Reaction score
I'll have to wait until my little one is old enough to help me with this - right now she's only a baby but I'm already looking forward to fun times like these when she's old enough to be involved in the kitchen!

I was looking forward to my son being able to join me in the kitchen when he started to get older. I was not a baker but I loved to cook so I thought he's want to help out. He'll soon be 25 and I am still waiting. I am sure you'll have better success.

Reaction score
I am eagerly waiting for the moment when my cute girl will start cooking with me.Thanks for sharing this cute recipe for kids.

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds great! I may have to give it a try with the kiddos. I have also seen something very similar, only difference was on the top included oreo cookie crumbles and gummy worms to make it look like worms in mud.

Reaction score
Oh my daughter is so going to love this one. Thanks for sharing the recipe. We are going to have so much fun trying it out together this weekend.

Reaction score
I am not sure I would dare to try this one, but it doss sound good. Maybe after seeing a picture I would feel more courageous ;) I like to see pictures before I try any new recipe.
I'm 63 years old, and my Mom helped me do it when I was like five. It's been done a lot since then. Trust me, its a great kid's recipe! And its fun. Its basic chemistry why the ingredients are what they are, rather than make it an actual have to think kind of thing. It works, tastes great, and even a five year old picky eater would consume it. No need to gather courage, just plunge in and enjoy.

Ask a Question