Mud Cake Query

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a new member here.
Just wanted to ask how many days in advance can I make a mud cake?
I am doing a marble mud cake and finishing it off with ganache only (i.e. no fondant or extra icing).
Can I make it a few days in advance and leave in airtight container then ganache day before? or do I need to store in the fridge?
Any other tips I need to know?
Thanking you in advance!

Reaction score
I've never made that so I can't be sure, but in general, cakes have high enough sugar content that they don't need to be refrigerated unless you want to keep them for longer than 5 days. I'd probably refrigerate it on day 4 if it wasn't already eaten.

Reaction score
Yes you can make a cake in advance. However never store a plain cake in the refrigerator. A refrigerator will dry a cake out. Refrigerators are designed with evaporators. The evaporator is designed to pull moisture out so you don’t have condensation inside your refrigerator. That will dry your cake out.

If you’re going to make a cake in advance cool it completely. Then double wrap the cake in plastic wrap and freeze the cake. Freezing not only preserves the cake better, but the cake will be moister when it thaws.

To thaw simply remove the cake from the freezer The night before you need it; leave it wrapped in plastic and place it on the counter.

Cake can be baked a few months in advance and frozen. It’s just important that it is wrapped properly for freezing.

How to properly wrap cake for freezing.

edit: once the cake is iced with ganache, it can be at room temperature for two days. Assuming no perishable filling between the layers.

if you must refrigerate the cake place it in an airtight cake container or a corrugated cardboard box. The corrugated cardboard will absorb any moisture from the refrigerator and also keep the cake from drying out from the evaporator.

To store leftover sliced cake, place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the cut section. Place the cake in an airtight cake container or corrugated cardboard box.

https://cakeboss.com/how-to-freeze-your-cakes-the-right-way/

Last edited:

Ask a Question