Corn bread - do you prefer it savory or sweet?

Reaction score
I don't mind a little sweetness in my cornbread nut not a lot. I like to kerp it mostly savory. I have eaten other peoples cornbread and everyone makes it differently. Some are sweet and some are savory. I prefer my sisters cornbread because she has always made the best cornbread in my opinion.

Reaction score
I LOVE sweet cornbread!! And I still add honey to it even if it is sweet!! LOL
I hate dry, unsweet cornbread with a passion because I think then honey can't even save it! ;-)
I make mine from a mix I buy at Costco and it is sweet! I like to make it in a pan but I think when
I make it as cupcakes it is easier to eat and doesn't seem to go to waste!

Reaction score
I like sweet cornbread, but I haven't been able to eat cornbread that is sweet because some of the ones I have eaten were too sweet. I don't like it to be too sweet that takes away from the cornbread in my opinion.

Reaction score
Growing up, we always ate savory cornbread to go with ham and beans, but the other weekend I ate sweet cornbread for the first time at the restaurant Smokey Bones and loved it! They have a yummy walnut and honey butter that just melts right into it.

Reaction score
That sounds yummy. I wish we had a place like that here. Alas we don't and a lot of the restaurants here their cornbread is ok, but not really good. Some of it is really sweet.and I can't eat it.

Reaction score
All cornbread is good...but sweet is absolutely my favorite! Give me a $0.50 box of Jiffy cornbread and I'll make a meal out of it! Of course, I'm from down South also. :)

Reaction score
All cornbread is good...but sweet is absolutely my favorite! Give me a $0.50 box of Jiffy cornbread and I'll make a meal out of it! Of course, I'm from down South also. :)

I read a recipe for a copycat Boston Market cornbread that is one box of Jiffy cornbread plus one box of Jiffy yellow cake mix. I wonder if it actually works. It seems like it would be too sweet.

Reaction score
Cornbread has to be savory for me...depending on my mood I might have some lavender honey with it, but I don't like the cornbread itself to be sweet.

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of hot water soda corn bread , I am told it is a southern thing. I was wondering how it differs from regular corn bread.

Reaction score
Somewhere in the middle. I don't like corn bread that's overly sweet but I don't want it completely without sugar either. Although as long as it has some butter on it I don't really care either way... ;)

Reaction score
We make two kinds of cornbread. The sweet cornbread is made in the oven. I like the sweet cornbread but hubby does not like it that much. Another form we make is fried. We mix the corn meal with water and spices (if interested in them) and fry it up like you would pancakes on a hot griddle. I enjoy both kinds but hubby likes his fried. The fried kind are often called ho cakes.

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of hot water soda corn bread , I am told it is a southern thing. I was wondering how it differs from regular corn bread.

Do you mean fried ho cake cornbread? We just mix the white corn meal with water and then fry it on a skillet like you would a pancake. Hubby loves this. I like it too but I try to stay away from the grease.

Reaction score
Every time I make cornbread, I end up making 2 pans - one savory pan for myself and one sweet for my husband. I think it's because my grandparents came from the South, while my husband's grandparents were immigrants who settled in the North.

I've tried to split the difference and add 1/2 the amount of sugar he prefers, but the it's still too sweet for me, yet not sweet enough for him. *sigh*

How do you prefer your corn bread?
I really like sweat corn bread. I also prefer my cornbread to have no corn pieces.

Reaction score
I also prefer sweet corn bread, but makes no difference to me if it has corn pieces or not, just different textures to taste ;)

Reaction score
Every time I make cornbread, I end up making 2 pans - one savory pan for myself and one sweet for my husband. I think it's because my grandparents came from the South, while my husband's grandparents were immigrants who settled in the North.

I've tried to split the difference and add 1/2 the amount of sugar he prefers, but the it's still too sweet for me, yet not sweet enough for him. *sigh*

I definitely prefer it sweet as does my toddler, so that's what we make. My Dad was from the south and my mother, the north and it was the same way growing up in my house. My father always made cornbread in a cast iron skillet in the oven and it was savory. I had never thought about the locational side of it.

Reaction score
I have a preference for the sweet tasting. I make my recipe with Splenda.

I have tried the other version, but just wasn't what i care for.

Reaction score
The only way I eat my corn bread is sweeten. There is no additional veggies or cheese added to my corn bread. Just a little sugar or honey added to the mix and you have a classic.

Reaction score

I prefer my corn bread sweet. However, savory corn bread can be delicious, too. I just like sweet corn bread better.

Reaction score
I prefer sweet cornbread.

The cornbread recipe I follow is the one on the side of the Alder's Yellow Cornmeal box. The only difference is that I add a tablespoon more of oil and 3 tablespoons more of sugar. These changes make for an extremely moist and sweet cornbread.

albers-yellow-corn-meal-66589.jpg
Best Cornmeal

Ask a Question