Corn bread - do you prefer it savory or sweet?

Reaction score
I think there have actually only been a couple of times in my life that I've had a sweet cornbread and I really didn't like it all that much at all. I prefer a savory cornbread.

I don't do any kind of additives into my cornbread, but I do love a piece of cornbread with some butter melted on top of it.

Reaction score
I've only ever tried savoury and didn't much care for it. I don't care for the consistency of it. The texture turns me off.

I've been told by a friend that I need to try her sweet corn bread (she doubles the sugar) but I don't know. Is it normal for corn bread to be dry? I like my biscuits to be fluffy, like Red Lobster style.

Reaction score
I personally have a passion for sweet cornbread, and I do think it has to do with what I was raised with in the north. My grandmother, who was born and raised in the south, always made the best cornbread, in an iron skillet on the stove top. It was not sweet but was delicious. I wish I would have learned how to make that from her before she passed on. I have also had some of the savory cornbread with spices, corn, and cheese and it was awesome. I guess I must that I love cornbread in any fashion.

Reaction score
I used to be obsessed with cornbread! I mean I loved it so much, I would eat a whole pan by myself. I used to slice it open and put butter in the middle, it was so good. Now, I only eat it like to twice a year.

Reaction score
Sweet cornbread! With a very light spread of real butter. I've tried savory and I just can't get into it. Though it's a very LIGHT sweet. I don't want it to be sugary. It would take away from the flavor from the savory food. I have someone that loves cold milk over the corn bread. Not my thing but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Reaction score
Every time I make cornbread, I end up making 2 pans - one savory pan for myself and one sweet for my husband. I think it's because my grandparents came from the South, while my husband's grandparents were immigrants who settled in the North.

I've tried to split the difference and add 1/2 the amount of sugar he prefers, but the it's still too sweet for me, yet not sweet enough for him. *sigh*

How do you prefer your corn bread?

I have to go with sweet on the cornbread front. It wouldn't be something that I would bake a lot of, but I was always very curious after hearing so much about it in the movies. It goes great with peanut butter and jam (jelly). The savory is a bit too bland for my taste.

Reaction score
I must be wishy washy, seems most everyone has a distinct preference. For me it depends entirely on what I am serving it with.

My husband would rather I always make sweet cornbread but I just make whatever I feel fits the meal and hand him the honey butter. It seems to work.

Reaction score
I like my cornbread with a hint of sweet and very moist. I usually have chili with it and it's the perfect combination to salty and sweet with a drizzle of butter and honey. Okay now I'm hungry! :)

Reaction score
I prefer my bread to be savoury as well instead of sweet. I would leave the sweetness to my desserts instead.

Also, we use bread a lot as a side dish to our tasty food so we would not really like it sweet because it won't complement the main dish well.

I really reduce the sugar that I put and the more bland the bread is, the better for us.

Reaction score
I like both. My grandmother is the expert at corn bread, and she usually makes it both ways, a pan for each..I suppose which one I prefer depends on the mood I'm in and my tastes for the day!

Reaction score
My cornbread has to have a little sweetness to it! For the past few years, I have just been buying Jiffy mix and that is how I make my cornbread. If I make it from scratch, I add sugar. But not too much!

Reaction score
I am not a great fan of corn bread as i can count the amount of times i have eaten it; all in all i don't think it matters much to me if it's savory or sweet.

Reaction score
My cornbread preference depends on what I am eating it with. If I am having it with Chili, I like it with some grated cheddar cheese and some canned green chilies and maybe some slightly cooked diced onion in it. If I am having it with something else, I like a little bit sweet with corn put in it. But actually I like cornbread any way I can get it!

Reaction score
Every time I make cornbread, I end up making 2 pans - one savory pan for myself and one sweet for my husband. I think it's because my grandparents came from the South, while my husband's grandparents were immigrants who settled in the North.

I've tried to split the difference and add 1/2 the amount of sugar he prefers, but the it's still too sweet for me, yet not sweet enough for him. *sigh*

How do you prefer your corn bread?
If I'm going to eat corn bread it HAS to have a little sweetness to it, otherwise I won't eat it. Everybody I know just loves it, and I never could stand it much.

Reaction score
I have never heard to add so many things to cornbread and will have to try it. I usually make traditional cornbread and make both a whipped honey butter and a whipped garlic butter. That way you can have either sweet or savory and one pan of the cornbread.

I've never heard of using honey butter to make corn bread but it sounds amazing. In fact, just adding honey to corn bread sounds like it would make a wonderful cake of cornbread. I'm going to try that alongside some creamed corn and see how it turns out. I love moist sweet cornbread.

Reaction score
For everyday purposes, I prefer sweet. Savory would be for some special circumstances. The lady who used to be my music manager made the best cornbread I have ever eaten, and it was the sweet variety. (she was from Georgia) Spicy seems like Texas style.

Reaction score
In our family, we prefer it sweet. My mom makes the most wonderful cornbread, with coconut. Everyone who tries it loves it. I most post it at the forum for all who love cornbread to enjoy.

Reaction score
I've only ever had savory cornbread as I like to have some butter on it. I'm not sure I would like it sweet as the texture is quite firm, even the cornbread muffins I have had have been more savory than sweet.

Reaction score
I understand what you mean, Mara, but the cornbread we make at home is moist and soft, almost like cake. I guess it's the ingredients. One of the recipes has coconut milk and anise seeds (believe me, it is scrumptious!) The other one is with coconut milk and pineapple, the flavor is unreal! NEVER leave the anise seeds out, they give the cornbread an aroma that is truly unique! I will share the one with coconut milk and pineapple, now, just in case you want to try it!
2 cups cornmeal
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 block of tofu
4 Tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup anise seeds
1 ½ cups pineapple
1 cup soy milk

1 Tbsp. baking soda (without aluminum)
Put the frozen corn, the pineapple and the tofu in the blender and process till creamy. Scrape into a bowl and add the the rest of the ingredients, combining them well. Put the mixture in a greased pan and bake at 400 º F, till it is golden brown and the crust opens up.

From our kitchen to yours, enjoy!

Reaction score
My favorite kind of cornbread is the kind made over a campfire. Pair this with a big bowl of chili and I am in heaven. The only way that I do not like cornbread is when people actually put chunks of corn in it, I can do without the actual corn kernals.

Ask a Question