Cracking Eggs for a Cake batter.

Linus

Reaction score
How do you add your eggs for a Cake batter? Do you crack them on at a time into the batter right from the shell, or do you crack them into a small bowl first & put each one into the batter?

I'm in the middle of making the batter for a 7up Cake. While cracking the eggs for it, I came across a rotten one!! Imagine if I put that one into the batter!! I'd have to throw it all away & start all over!! It stunk so bad and it was partially black!!!! I immediately threw it down the toilet so that the smell would not stink up the kitchen!!! :eek:

Ad

Advertisements

retired baker

Reaction score
You can actually smell bad eggs right through the shell, you get a slight whiff as soon as you open the box.
I always crack into a alum quart measure because its easier to get them into the machine.
Haven't seen a rotten egg in a long time, but you never forget it.

Linus

Reaction score
One of the most disgusting things that you'll ever encounter! I almost puked yesterday!!!!:eek:

Norcalbaker59

Reaction score
I crack them into a measuring cup because I bake by weight, not volume. So I weight my eggs. I’ve never come across a rotten egg—thank goodness.

Ad

Advertisements

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
I crack them into a measuring cup because I bake by weight, not volume. So I weight my eggs.
I do the same for the same reason. I use a 2-4 cup measuring cup so it is easy to beat them. I beat them well before I weigh them so I get an even mixture of yolk and white. If the cake has any milk or cream in it, I usually add it to the eggs after I weigh them out.

Cake ingredients can be expensive so it would be dreadful to drop in a bad egg.

LMHmedchem

Ask a Question