Cracking Eggs for a Cake batter.

Reaction score
How do you add your eggs for a Cake batter? Do you crack them on at a time into the batter right from the shell, or do you crack them into a small bowl first & put each one into the batter?

I'm in the middle of making the batter for a 7up Cake. While cracking the eggs for it, I came across a rotten one!! Imagine if I put that one into the batter!! I'd have to throw it all away & start all over!! It stunk so bad and it was partially black!!!! I immediately threw it down the toilet so that the smell would not stink up the kitchen!!! :eek:

Reaction score
You can actually smell bad eggs right through the shell, you get a slight whiff as soon as you open the box.
I always crack into a alum quart measure because its easier to get them into the machine.
Haven't seen a rotten egg in a long time, but you never forget it.

Reaction score
One of the most disgusting things that you'll ever encounter! I almost puked yesterday!!!!:eek:

Reaction score
I crack them into a measuring cup because I bake by weight, not volume. So I weight my eggs. I’ve never come across a rotten egg—thank goodness.

Reaction score
I crack them into a measuring cup because I bake by weight, not volume. So I weight my eggs.
I do the same for the same reason. I use a 2-4 cup measuring cup so it is easy to beat them. I beat them well before I weigh them so I get an even mixture of yolk and white. If the cake has any milk or cream in it, I usually add it to the eggs after I weigh them out.

Cake ingredients can be expensive so it would be dreadful to drop in a bad egg.

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
If it ever happens, you'll know. One of the most gross-smelling, gross-looking things on earth!!!! Trust me!! :eek:

Reaction score
Gosh, that would have been a disaster! I always crack mine into a bowl as I weigh my eggs so everything is the same weight.
i then beat them lightly before adding to the other ingredients so they mix evenly.

Reaction score
Eggs are a precious resource these days. It's lucky if you can get the minimum required number, and powdered eggs are missing everywhere. Liquid eggs are slowly becoming available again. Minimum eggs, makeup water for the rest. Always in a separate measure, but for cake, added prior to the other liquids. If it were a white cake it would be more problematic.

Reaction score
I always crack eggs for anything is a separate bowl every time. There are 2 good reasons for doing this.

1) eggs shell fragments happen.
2) weighing: when a recipe calls for 2 large eggs that could mean something different to them depending on where they live. From what I understand ratios between the fat, liquid, eggs and flour are important and those ratios are by weight, not volume. Volume is a throwback and most people don't have a scale or want to bother with with one. Cakes usually turn out tasty no matter the method though so it is a matter of preference.

Reaction score
I always crack eggs in a separate glass bowl and then measure how much quantity I need. Till now I haven't come across to rotten eggs, it will be a great disaster. Thank god.

Ask a Question