Do you cook with your children?

Reaction score
I have always wanted to teach my children on how to cook buy they are usually not interested. My eldest daughter usually suggests that we should buy ready cooked food for our meals. I sometimes do talk to them about the advantages of cooking their own food but they've never been serious. They usually see cooking as an extra task that should be avoided if possible!

Reaction score
Probably not as much as I should. I have three toddlers, so sometimes it gets hectic, especially while trying to cook. They generally arent allowed in the kitchen while I am cooking, since I dont want to risk any accidents. Small things that do not involved cooking? Yes, absolutely. We make puddings, jello, pudding pie, etc.

Reaction score
There are no children in the house anymore and I'm just starting to learn baking. But during my childhood, my mother would be baking something with us her children watching her like a hawk. I cannot forget the cakes she would bake especially that cake called sans rival which is made of egg white and butter, yeah, lots of butter with cashew nuts for the topping. We would help in beating the egg white to a nice foam. And naturally when it is taken out of the oven, the children are all excited for the sampling session.

Reaction score
Probably not as much as I should. I have three toddlers, so sometimes it gets hectic, especially while trying to cook. They generally arent allowed in the kitchen while I am cooking, since I dont want to risk any accidents. Small things that do not involved cooking? Yes, absolutely. We make puddings, jello, pudding pie, etc.

It is definitely a different story if you are talking about toddlers. When I first read the title I immediately thought about the educational potentials and all the things you can teach your kids through cooking, which is all true. That really all goes out the window though when they are not old enough to absorb that knowledge. In that case, you are right in putting safety first, but hopefully as they get older you can start to use it as a teaching tool a little more.

Reaction score
It is definitely a different story if you are talking about toddlers. When I first read the title I immediately thought about the educational potentials and all the things you can teach your kids through cooking, which is all true. That really all goes out the window though when they are not old enough to absorb that knowledge. In that case, you are right in putting safety first, but hopefully as they get older you can start to use it as a teaching tool a little more.

Yes, most definitely. I am actually homeschooling, so without a doubt, we will use cooking in our learning time. Just with them being so young now, its better for them to not be in the kitchen yet.

Reaction score
I have a six year old daughter and she just loves to spend time in the kitchen with me. Whenever I have a meal to prepare, she wants to help me with everything from slicing the vegs to washing the plates. Of course there's a lot she can't do properly just yet, and she ends up being more in the way than helping, but I sure do appreciate those moments that we spend together.

Reaction score
My daughter is 6 years old and she just loves helping me in cooking. She used to stand with me while cooking and sometimes she gives me suggestions too;). Recently we made Nutella Brownies and she just loved it. She helped me throughout the process. Here is the recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Grease the baking pan with butter.
3. In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup of all purpose flour , 2 eggs and 1 1/4 cup of nutella with a large spoon until the batter is smooth.
4. Pour the mixed ingredients into the baking pan and smooth the top with spatula.
5. Bake them for 15 mins and check the consistency with a toothpick. If the toothpick comes out clean, it means the brownie is ready.
6. Let the brownie cool and set before cutting and serving.

My daughter mixed the ingredients with great excitement and she's the one who tasted it first and said that it tastes awesome. I'm damn sure that she'll be much better than me in cooking:)

Reaction score
I don’t have kids myself but I have 4 nieces and two nephews.
My 9 year old niece Londyn absolutely loves cooking and baking and whenever they come over, she wants to get into the kitchen.
My 15 year old nephew likes it to but not as much. Sometimes when they come over I have little baking projects for them.
One thing I’ve done with them multiple times is a sort of make your own dessert. And we have it for dessert that night after dinner.
I get those 8x8 aluminum cake pans and they each get one. Then I get things like graham crackers, cookies, different kinds of instant pudding mix- prepared, bananas, different kinds of berries, chocolate, sprinkles, pretzels, you name it. They love it because it’s their own custom creation.

Reaction score
I have a daughter who is two years old. We love baking together and do it on a weekly basis. She LOVES IT.
Our favorite easy recipe is for chocolate chip cookies.
It's 1 box of yellow cake mix
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/3 cup of oil
and chocolate chips.

That's it! You just mix it up all together and it's delicious! Then roll into balls and cook at 350 for about 9 minutes.

Reaction score
My kids are older now, but I LOVED baking with them when they were younger! There was a time my daughter wanted to help with everything (which isn't the case now LOL). But surprisingly, my 15 y/o boy has started experimenting in the kitchen...

I watch my friend's little 5 y/o girl a few days during the week and we came across this genius recipe/post!
https://www.baking-forums.com/threads/easy-peasy-treat-to-make-with-children.208/ It was so easy, and she LOVED being able to do it all. Plus, it was a yummy snack :)

Reaction score
I baked with my daughter when she was in elementary and middle school. We entered and won two pie baking contests in the same summer. Many fun times!

She started baking on her own in high school. A slight hiatus in college, and now she bakes with some frequency. This week she made a strawberry rhubarb pastry that looked great.

My son wasn't and isn't too interested in baking, but he does well on the stove and with the grill. He grills, sautes and bakes all types of meat, and makes nice salads. I'm thankful my kids gained some food preparation skills.

Reaction score
My older child was never willing to cook, I saw that she helps me because she is nice and not because she enjoys it. My younger daughter, on the other hand, is in love with high-end pastries, salads, and simple dinner recipes. I am impressed with her sense of taste, even though she is still so small. I think she has a real talent for cooking and if she is conducted well and does not get bored of her, she can become a great cook! He cooks with me and my mother, making such mixes of flavors that neither of us has come up with before

Ask a Question