Do you put milk on it? Strawberry shortcake

Reaction score
I have a bunch of vanilla cupcakes in the freezer with no icing on them and, when my husband said he wanted a dessert, I got a few out. After I cut them in half, toasted them; and laid three halves on each plate I put about a tablespoon of cold milk on each. Then I heated some cut frozen strawberries with honey in the microwave and spooned it on top.

When I presented him with the plate he didn't understand the milk thing. I told him that, when I was a kid, we'd get those sponge dessert shells from the grocery store for strawberry shortcake. We always put milk and strawberries on them. He said it's supposed to be whipped cream and he's never heard of the milk thing before. (And yeah, I know proper shortcake is more biscuit like but, as good as that is, it doesn't have the childhood nostalgia. Haha)

But milk soaked cake is such a comfort food thing for me now. Does anyone else do this? I'd say it's regional but he and I are both from Ohio! :D What do you do?

Reaction score
I'm from "The South" here in the USA. Yes, here, some people put sweet cream on theirs. I'm sure some put milk, because of the cost.....but I've always had it with whipped cream.

You could have also sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon sugar on the cakes before putting milk on them, and then with the fruit on top, called them Mini Tres Leches. Which is really good in itself.

:D

Reaction score
I'm from "The South" here in the USA. Yes, here, some people put sweet cream on theirs. I'm sure some put milk, because of the cost.....but I've always had it with whipped cream.

You could have also sprinkled a tiny bit of cinnamon sugar on the cakes before putting milk on them, and then with the fruit on top, called them Mini Tres Leches. Which is really good in itself.

:D

Ooo! I might have to do that tonight! that sounds good.

Reaction score
I've never heard of that before! You learn something new everyday I guess :)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm half dutch and since the day I could stand on a footstool in Ohma's (Grandma's) kitchen I knew there's no other way to eat it if you're dutch! In a bowl, like cereal, with milk and sugar. It's delicious

Reaction score
Never heard of milk on the best summer dessert known to humankind. Sounds like a regional/ethnic thing.

shortcake
Macerated strawberries
Home made whipped cream, optionally fortified with white chocolate ganache

Mtk

Reaction score
I have a bunch of vanilla cupcakes in the freezer with no icing on them and, when my husband said he wanted a dessert, I got a few out. After I cut them in half, toasted them; and laid three halves on each plate I put about a tablespoon of cold milk on each. Then I heated some cut frozen strawberries with honey in the microwave and spooned it on top.

When I presented him with the plate he didn't understand the milk thing. I told him that, when I was a kid, we'd get those sponge dessert shells from the grocery store for strawberry shortcake. We always put milk and strawberries on them. He said it's supposed to be whipped cream and he's never heard of the milk thing before. (And yeah, I know proper shortcake is more biscuit like but, as good as that is, it doesn't have the childhood nostalgia. Haha)

But milk soaked cake is such a comfort food thing for me now. Does anyone else do this? I'd say it's regional but he and I are both from Ohio! :D What do you do?
Today would be my dad's 100th birthday. Every year he celebrated with strawberry shortcake — sort of. My mom would bake her 1-2-3-4 cake (not shortcake). Then she'd top it with cream that was whipped by hand. The strawberries were washed, hulled, left whole, and arrayed on top. Of course, the birthday boy cut the first piece. He then put it in a bowl and poured in milk that the cake soaked up like a sponge.
I made the cake last night in order to celebrate his 100th today— and we'll be eating it just the way he liked it.

Reaction score

Nostalgic comfort foods are the best, right? And that sounds like a unique twist on strawberry shortcake. I just add cream but I think I'll try this.

Ask a Question