Do you put store your breads in the refrigerator?

Reaction score
Do you store your breads in the refrigerator and then just heat it when you want to eat a piece or two of the bread in your bread toaster?

We are always doing this at home and somehow it helps the bread to have a longer shelf life.

How about you?

Reaction score
I just leave it in our pantry so it's at room temperature - we tend to go through a loaf relatively quickly in our household, but if there's any reason that we won't finish it I often just put it in the freezer and then thaw what I need when I need it :) I hate wasting food so that's my main motivator behind doing that!

Reaction score
Actually, it depends on the brand and type of bread I get.

Some of them I keep in the fridge, because they will go moldy in a couple of days. But in the fridge, they will stay for weeks.

Another brand of bread I get will stay on the counter for a couple of months before it starts drying out or getting moldy.

Reaction score
Actually, it depends on the brand and type of bread I get.

Some of them I keep in the fridge, because they will go moldy in a couple of days. But in the fridge, they will stay for weeks.

Another brand of bread I get will stay on the counter for a couple of months before it starts drying out or getting moldy.

Absolutely you are right that when you store a bread in the refrigerator it will stay in the fridge for weeks and they do not easily get molds. Before I am not doing this but when I had learned of this I was able to avoid wasting of bread.

Reaction score
I do it sometimes only. I do it when I think it's going to go off if I don't store it and then what happens sometimes is that I might leave it there too long and then it gets bad anyway.

If my husband doesn't buy too much it usually goes quickly so I don't have to worry about storage. I try hard not to buy any as I have a weakness for bread when it's around.

Reaction score
For the brands of bread I use....I have found that then ones with more artificial additives get moldy a lot sooner than the ones that are all natural. I would have thought it would be the other way around!!!!

Reaction score
It depends on the season and also how fresh the bread is. Usually I will freeze half a loaf or put half in the fridge if it's warm, then I will use the rest. Some brands go off very quickly, so it's easier to put it in the fridge. If bread does begin to go hard I decide to make a batch of croutons though, so no bread is wasted.

Reaction score
hmmm I need to start storing my home made bread in the fridge,if I'm not careful,it will mold

Reaction score
We do when it comes to sliced bread. You have to make sure they don't pick up moisture though. Bread can get moldy sometimes faster inside the fridge.

Reaction score
I am starting to think you should store all bread in the fridge. Recently I lost more than half of a banana bread because it was left outside where the ants got it and no one bothered to try to save it. I returned from a trip and found it going completely off. I could have saved it by putting it in the fridge early in the game.

Reaction score
Ants are a common problem, it seems. We normally don't have to store bread inside the refrigerator because it gets consumed in a day or two and we don't purchase bread in bulk anyway. Ants have strong smell though and we oftentimes find them snacking on bread in the pantry. This happens when kids fail to put leftovers in tight containers.

Reaction score
We used to have a bread basket made of plastic where we keep the bread. However, the bread becomes tough after a day and tougher on the next day that it's not palatable anymore. And then we learned to keep leftover bread in the fridge to somehow preserve it and the bread definitely lasts longer. All it needed is to be reheated in the oven toaster and there you go. The leftover bread is also good in lieu of a pizza crust. And when worse comes to worst, the stored bread can be crushed and made into pudding.

Ask a Question