Do you still buy recipe books?

Reaction score
Compare to 20 or 30 years ago, we usually get our recipes either from family, friends or recipe books. But now the web just makes it easy to access into thousands of recipes including how-to videos. So, do you still buy hard copy recipes from bookstores when they can be easily available online? and if so what tempt you to buy?

Reaction score
These days I tend to buy more e-books than physical books, because I find it easier to read on the computer. (Also, less clutter.) unfortunately, it does make it difficult to share recipes!

When it comes to cookbooks, I like to see full-color photographs of the finished recipes.

Reaction score
Nope, there really is no point in my opinion. As you said everything is available online at the touch of your fingertips. The Internet is probably one of the best things for recipes because you can learn how to make so many things you wouldn't even see in a cook book. People must still buy them though because they are still for sale in book stores.

Reaction score
I haven't bought a cookbook in about 5 years because I've been bookmarking recipes online and more recently, pinning recipes on Pinterest.
If Pinterest had been around 15 years ago, I probably wouldn't own any cookbooks at all.

Reaction score
As with others who have responded I no longer purchase recipe or cook books. I might thumb through one now or then but if I see something interesting I know I can look it up on the Internet. I not only don't have anymore space for books, especially when I tend to use only a few of the recipes, but I don't see the point in spending the money when there are so many places to find free recipes. I also like the options of putting a main or list of ingredients into a website's search engine and coming up with a variety of possible recipes. I can't do that nearly as easily in a book!

Reaction score
I look online for my recipes. The internet makes so much available to our world, and it's convenient. I have recipes and recipe books that my grandmother has given me, and I love them, and I do have some select stuff that I love to make with them, but I have now memorized those recipes. If I need a go to, they are there.

Reaction score
I still buy recipe books, I love reading through them and trying different things. It's weird because I'm very techy when it comes to everything else - I have a Kindle and an iPad, and often look up recipes online. For some reason I still love to have recipe books! I find myself scrawling all over them with things I liked and things I would do differently next time, which is more difficult to do on the Kindle. They are also often covered in splash marks which you wouldn't want happening to something electronic! When I'm looking for recipes online it is usually for something in specific, whereas with recipes books I can browse through and take inspiration.

Reaction score
Good point. I get recipes online usually. I seem to use the same stuff over and over. I have a few cookbooks, but don't refer to them much. Feeding 7+ of us, I'm just trying to survive around here! HOWEVER, Mr. Kerrie gets Cook's Illustrated in the mail and whips up new things. AND he would love to have their big, fat book, which is a collection of recipes.

Reaction score
From time to time I do buy cookbooks. If I am in store and I see a cookbook on display I would take a peek, and if I do see an interesting recipe I like I will buy it. When I am on the internet I get quite the inspiration and ideas more direct. When you are looking direct to find a specific dish, you search it up and then vollaa! You found it. I think looking for recipes on the internet is much easier than flipping pages. Free of charge! :p

Reaction score
I think the internet is so saturated with recipes that cookbooks are a rare purchase. I think the targeted market must be mostly the elderly, and whatever other groups that may not use the internet so much.

Reaction score
Compare to 20 or 30 years ago, we usually get our recipes either from family, friends or recipe books. But now the web just makes it easy to access into thousands of recipes including how-to videos. So, do you still buy hard copy recipes from bookstores when they can be easily available online? and if so what tempt you to buy?

No can't say that I do, I mainly get my recipes from family or online. It is so much easier and they have so many recipes to get and so many different ways of making the same things. It is like a recipe heaven online. I love being able to just type in what I am looking to make and have all these recipes come up within in seconds. :)

Reaction score
Yes from time to time i still buye some but not as much as i use to buy, i mainly get my recipes from friends and online!!

Reaction score
If you really are still interested in recipe books, you can find some really interesting ones on ebay. I think I would consider buying one if it were really interesting and sort of a collectible-type of recipe book. I think they can make for nice decorative elements in the kitchen, if nothing else.

Reaction score
The good thing about books is that it is not as easy to mislay the recipe! I do occasionally buy a book if it is on offer in my local supermarket. The great thing about downloading recipes from the internet, is that you can keep them in a folder and photocopy them for friends!

Reaction score
I think the internet is so saturated with recipes that cookbooks are a rare purchase. I think the targeted market must be mostly the elderly, and whatever other groups that may not use the internet so much.

Oh, Limcid, I am SO chuckling at that remark ! I might be a "targeted market", but I do not buy the cook books either. I am almost 70, so definitely qualify in the senior market, but I have been using the Internet since back in the 80s, when it was first becoming popular, and I now find most of my recipes online, just like you younger people do.
I also like Amazon, and they have a lot of free cookbooks that you can download, and the free ones change about every day, so you can easily have a small library of cookbooks if you want to watch for them to be listed as free.

Reaction score
Nope, I don't buy books anymore. I have everything online. I have a pinterest bored with all my recipes that I want to try that I've seen online. Whenever I see a recipe I like or want to try, I pin it and send it to my pinterest board and then when I want to make something, I go to that board and look at all the recipes and choose one to try. My goal is to try every recipe at least once!

Reaction score
I have stacks of and STACKS of recipe books that I need to weed through. Some of them have been collecting dust and recently have looked at some of them and are really good recipes! But I do also look for some dishes online. But yes, this is a good question, that many people now-a-days probably don't bother to buy cookbooks when they can just look it up online.

Reaction score
I am seriously addicted to buying recipe books! Especially in Supermarkets such as Tesco or Asda. If I walk past and there's one called "Cakes" or "Baking" or "Cupcakes" and it's only around £2/£3, then I can't help but pick it up. I love looking through and seeing all recipes, since if I look online, I'll only choose recipes that I think will be nice and not give any chance to anything else!

Reaction score
The good thing about books is that it is not as easy to mislay the recipe! I do occasionally buy a book if it is on offer in my local supermarket. The great thing about downloading recipes from the internet, is that you can keep them in a folder and photocopy them for friends!

I agree with you on this that books don't get mislaid and I think it is a great idea to download and photocopy recipes because I am a person who likes to read or going through recipes before I go to bed at night. So, paper and books will be a comfort to the eyes (computer screen too glaring) and to look at them comfortably on my bed.

Reaction score
I haven't bought a cookbook in years. I get them for free and save them to my computer. Not only does it save me money, but it also saves me space.

Ask a Question