Dough

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I would seek advice and make mixing adjustments to dough to take into account minor changes to ingredient performance, production timing and environmental conditions, necessary to keep dough within specification?

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how I would seek advice and make mixing adjustments to dough to take into account minor changes to ingredient performance, production timing and environmental conditions, necessary to keep dough within specification?
Its called skill, knowing from experience and what needs to be adjusted, its generally easier to introduce more liquid than flour.
Knowing humid weather is going to affect the flour and liquid adjustments will probably have to be made, but you won't know until the dough starts to mix. Experience dictates if the dough looks good during mixing, then a touch answers whether it has the correct feel.
You can't get it from a book or a video, someone has to show you directly in person.
Theres a tendency to think complete knowledge of ingredients can save the day but thats reductionism and the problem with reductionism is that it misses emergent properties of the ingredients.
Even in highly controlled processing someone at some level has to know when its wrong and what is wrong.

Reaction score

The first thing is learning Desired Dough Temperature.

insofar as your production timing in environmental conditions, those things very specific to your business.

if your product is really suffering you should really consider talking to a bakery educator and consultant. Michel Suas is considered one of the best in the business. Every bakery from Tartine, Acme Bread, Bouchon, La Brea, Grace Baking. You name the top of the line bakery, and Suas most like served as a consultant.

But you don’t need to hire someone high profile like that. You just need to find someone who can work with you on your specific business. Search for a bakery consultant in your area.

Or contact the San Francisco Baking Institute and see if they can refer someone in your area.

Reaction score
How do you prevent dough contamination and cross contamination during mixing?
What might happen if this is not done?

Ask a Question