First Time Wedding Cake

Reaction score
@Akos,

I wouldn't advise sandwiching two dummies in the center. Dummy tiers are very light weight. Real cake is heavy. When you stack a cake, the weight of the cakes create a center of gravity, which provides some stability, But if you break up the center of gravity with two light dummy tiers you have a very top heavy cake. If the cake table is jolted or even if you place the top tier slightly to one side, the cake could topple over.

Usually dummy tiers are used on either the top or the bottom to create that center of gravity.

If the top tier is a dummy, the heavy real tiers are centered over each other to create that center of gravity. The bride and groom can easily slice from the bottom tier without too much worry of knocking the cake over.

If the bottom tier is the dummy it acts more as a cake display. The cake is stable as the upper tiers are centered on the wide dummy base. If the bottom tier is a dummy, there needs to be enough difference in size between tiers so the couple can cut a small slice from the second tier.
Hello hello hello. Can I do a 12" dummy of 4" deep bottom tier, with 10" of 5" deep, 8" of 3.5" deep and 6" of 5" deep (real cakes respectively?) The 4 tier cake will be covered in fondant. The 10 inch and 6 inch will be quilted, while the 12 inch dummy and 8 will have no decor at all. Will the cake any stacking problems in terms of weught?

Another question please. Which is heavier a chocolate and red velvet cake baked in the same pan size?
Hello hello hello. Can I do a 12" dummy of 4" deep bottom tier, with 10" of 5" deep, 8" of 3.5" deep and 6" of 5" deep (real cakes respectively?) The 4 tier cake will be covered in fondant. The 10 inch and 6 inch will be quilted, while the 12 inch dummy and 8 will have no decor at all. Will the cake any stacking problems in terms of weught?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello there's a change in planning. Can I make a 12" and 10" both of 4" depth dummies and 8" and 6" both of 5" real cakes, all covered in fondant?

Which is better in hot weather for a dummy under fondant, water or shortening?

Reaction score
Hello there's a change in planning. Can I make a 12" and 10" both of 4" depth dummies and 8" and 6" both of 5" real cakes, all covered in fondant?

Which is better in hot weather for a dummy under fondant, water or shortening?

As long as your dummies are secured to your cake drum it should be fine. But why are you making your real tiers 5” and the dummy tiers 4”.

Cake tiers should either be the same height OR significantly different in height.

A 1” difference between tier heights will look like an error rather than intentional. It’s just not aesthetically pleasing to the eye when there’s only slight difference in height.

I would recommend you make all the tiers either 4” or 5” high and not a combination of the both.

====

I would advise that you use shortening for two reasons.

1. If you make a mistake you can more easily remove the fondant.

2. If you use water, you run the risk of using too much and damaging the fondant.

It’s best to use a fondant that is formulated for the environment you live in. Some commercial fondants are formulated for higher temperature and humidity.

If you don’t have a lot of experience covering dummies I would encourage you to practice. It’s not difficult but there are some differences when covering a dummy.

The most common problem is tearing the fondant. The edges of a dummy are usually pretty sharp. It’s best to slightly softened the edge by using a fondant smoother. I know some people will roll the edge on the countertop to soften it but you can’t see what you’re doing and you could end up flattening the edge.

After you’ve covered the dummy in fondant the easiest way to remove it is freeze it.

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you as always. The original picture shown to me I think, is all 4" or 5" deep, of 12, 10, 8 and 6 inches respectively, where the 12" and 8" are normal fondant covered and the 10 and 6 inches are quilted.

However because of the couples budget, hence the dummies. That's why I want to incorporate 2 dummies, (and make a little change to the original picture) so that I'll do the 12 and 10 inches fondant covered dummies . I was thinking because of the quilted effect, 5" deep will bring the design out.

From your REPLY, will it then be alright to make a 3 inch deep 12" and 10" plain fondant covered and 8" and 6", 5 inch deep quilted?. Will that look nice?

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you as always. The original picture shown to me I think, is all 4" or 5" deep, of 12, 10, 8 and 6 inches respectively, where the 12" and 8" are normal fondant covered and the 10 and 6 inches are quilted.

However because of the couples budget, hence the dummies. That's why I want to incorporate 2 dummies, (and make a little change to the original picture) so that I'll do the 12 and 10 inches fondant covered dummies . I was thinking because of the quilted effect, 5" deep will bring the design out.

From your REPLY, will it then be alright to make a 3 inch deep 12" and 10" plain fondant covered and 8" and 6", 5 inch deep quilted?. Will that look nice?

The quilted tiers should stand out especially if you’re mixing them with smooth tiers.

Yes you can make the bottom tier 3”.
I just went on the Internet and pulled up a few pictures of cake with different size tiers to give you a visual on how to use different tier heights.

This baker used two 3” & two barrels to create drama. Overall pretty good effect
8AE69384-E481-4111-BD2F-7553334ED716.jpeg

The cake on the left puts the low tier 2nd which really works beautifully as each tier is unique. Note how much more dramatic it is compared to the more traditional cake on the right.
232B2F21-96F1-4D42-A9D0-0AC354DB163A.jpeg

On this cake the tiers are all the same height but by adding that little piece of contrasting dark ribbon it creates the illusion of varying heights. This is a really beautiful and well thought out design. The baker created a dramatic yet very elegant cake by using two very simple elements: texture and one contrasting color.
C3C70302-D04C-4740-8F4B-38C83ED3981D.jpeg

Ask a Question