Flavoring an icing

Reaction score
When you're making an icing with confectioner's sugar and butter, how do you like to flavor it? I have tried using a little bit of cocoa along with a few tablespoons of brewed coffee, which tasted good. Do people have other ideas?

Reaction score
Sometimes I make icing from scratch, like for example that one time I tried to make an eggnog flavored cake =D It turned out great! I have also made cream cheese icing as well. You can try so many different mixes!

Reaction score
I'm a fan of extracts myself. 2-3 dollar bottles at the local grocer or dollar store, a little goes a LONG way. Like the Art teacher used to say in school for glue (A little dab will do ya)?

Different choices too. I like mixing peppermint and vanilla together too, depending on what item I'm decided to ice.

Reaction score
I use extractst too when I want something like an orange, lemon, or vanilla icing, etc. If I want a chocolate icing or something like that, I will mix in chocolate chips or whatever I have handy. You just have to be very careful so you don't ruin the consistency of the icing while at the same time trying to get it flavored.

Reaction score
Yup. The general rule of thumb I do is the cap of the extract bottle (like a teaspoon up to a tablespoon, depending on what I need) a little bit can go a long way! One time I used a lot and it overpowered the flavor and I had to throw the icing out and make a homemade icing from scratch.

Ask a Question