Hobbies other than baking

Reaction score
Today I engaged in one of my favorite summer hobbies: creek and waterfall hiking! It's hot and humid here this week so it was the perfect thing to do. The water is chilly as it runs over your feet, and the air in the gully is cool because of the water and the dirt and trees all around. It's a fun challenge to decide how to ascend each waterfall, too. It was almost 90 degrees here today and I would never have known it...I was actually chilly before we were finished!

Reaction score
What sort of things does everyone do outside of baking and cooking in general? My other interests are art and writing. I also have a fondness for making origami! Basically, I tend to like hobbies that keep my hands busy so it doesn't feel as if I've wasted my free time.
My favorite hobby is crocheting. Whenever I'm sitting and watching t.v., I always have a crochet project going, I can't watch t.v. without something in my hands. I crochet all my Christmas and Birthday gifts as well as baby shower gifts....If it's an event where I can gift a crocheted gift, I do!

Reaction score
My favorite hobby is crocheting. Whenever I'm sitting and watching t.v., I always have a crochet project going, I can't watch t.v. without something in my hands. I crochet all my Christmas and Birthday gifts as well as baby shower gifts....If it's an event where I can gift a crocheted gift, I do!

I have always admired people who can do two activities at once like that! I like to do a variety of crafts but it has to be my focus. I've never been able to even listen to music when I'm doing something with my hands! Kudos to you! Hand made gifts are so precious and deserve to be valued forever!!

Reaction score
Today I engaged in one of my favorite summer hobbies: creek and waterfall hiking! It's hot and humid here this week so it was the perfect thing to do. The water is chilly as it runs over your feet, and the air in the gully is cool because of the water and the dirt and trees all around. It's a fun challenge to decide how to ascend each waterfall, too. It was almost 90 degrees here today and I would never have known it...I was actually chilly before we were finished!

Wow, you're so lucky to have access to waterfalls. I've never seen a natural waterfall in real life, just a manmade one that was an otter habitat.

Reaction score
Wow, you're so lucky to have access to waterfalls. I've never seen a natural waterfall in real life, just a manmade one that was an otter habitat.

I live in an absolutely beautiful region and feel so blessed because of it! This waterfall hiking is new to me over the last few years, but I love it! We have access to many small gully/creek/waterfalls in the region, although I've only hiked a few. Mind you, they aren't anything huge....but fun, challenging and lovely.

Reaction score
I enjoy GeoCaching. It's a hobby that gets me and some friends out together often finding new areas and adventures. For those that don't know about it here's how it works. People go out and hide things all over the world and you get a longitude and latitude , go there and find it. The cache you locate has a log book in it and you sign it then go to the GeoCaching web site and log your find. There are over 2 million caches hidden around the world now. Some have trinkets for trade some you just sign and put back. It has helped me find were the wild horses hang out in the desert, waterfalls in the middle of parks I would have never known about without GeoCaching, historic landmarks and just regular places I wouldn't visit otherwise. Great Hobby for travelers too.

Reaction score
When I am not baking I LOVE writing, I actually write do a little freelance writing and I have written a young-adult book series. I enjoy just hanging out with my friends and family, I hate being alone, I am very social. I also am a sucker for television. I am addicted to my TV shows, I have sat and binge-watched shows on Netflix for literally 6 hours straight (don't judge me..).

Reaction score
I have several hobbies, just depending on the season. I used to have horses, and ride a lot, but I can't do that due to my health, so I have had to adapt to simpler hobbies. I still like being outside, so in the warm seasons, I work in the garden and the yard.
When it is too hot, cold, or rainy to be outside , I enjoy reading, knitting socks, and just browsing the Internet, learning things, and reading the news.

Reaction score
What sort of things does everyone do outside of baking and cooking in general? My other interests are art and writing. I also have a fondness for making origami! Basically, I tend to like hobbies that keep my hands busy so it doesn't feel as if I've wasted my free time.
The only other thing that I really have time for is fitness; I have to work off all of this baking! I make most of my food at home so between working, working out and cooking, I don't find time for much else.

Reaction score
When I am not baking I LOVE writing, I actually write do a little freelance writing and I have written a young-adult book series. I enjoy just hanging out with my friends and family, I hate being alone, I am very social. I also am a sucker for television. I am addicted to my TV shows, I have sat and binge-watched shows on Netflix for literally 6 hours straight (don't judge me..).
Don't feel bad about the binge-watching! I think most people have netflix for that reason :) You can just watch a whole season in two days! I did this with Damages and Homeland over the Christmas holiday...:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Don't feel bad about the binge-watching! I think most people have netflix for that reason :) You can just watch a whole season in two days! I did this with Damages and Homeland over the Christmas holiday...:rolleyes:

I am SO horribly guilty of binge-watching, I have gone to work on literally two hours of sleep before because of it. it's just so tempting to watch another episode and see what happens, when it's right there and available. And, practically every TV episode created now-a-days ends with a cliffhanger, it's impossible not to watch "just one more episode."

Reaction score
I am SO horribly guilty of binge-watching, I have gone to work on literally two hours of sleep before because of it. it's just so tempting to watch another episode and see what happens, when it's right there and available. And, practically every TV episode created now-a-days ends with a cliffhanger, it's impossible not to watch "just one more episode."
I binge watch K dramas, which is scary because some of them are daily Korean dramas with 160 episodes.

Reaction score
That's so funny! My mom was binge-watching Breaking Bad and was trying to figure out how she could get up early to watch an episode before work. Now that is crazy! I need my sleep :D

Reaction score
There was a sketch on the show Portlandia about binge watching.
Fred and Carrie binge watched Battlestar Galactica and as the days went on, they became dirtier and more unkempt, trash piled up in their house, and utilities started getting cut off. The dangers of binge watching. ;)

Reaction score
I have a few hobbies that I enjoy along with baking. I really enjoy crafts; anything from painting, cross-stitch, knitting to scrapbooking. I have always enjoyed these types of activities since I was a little girl and most I have managed to continue as an adult. They seem to relax me and I find nothing more satisfying than to finish a project. Most people comment on the different homemade items I have completed and that gives me even more of a reason to carry on creating these unique crafts whenever I can.

Reaction score
I`m kind of new to baking - I`m stil scared I will end up burning up the house, or ruining my food. I really enjoy reading, watching tv shows, going out with friends, and eating out - I love trying new restaurants!

Reaction score

I draw with the TV on or a movie playing. When you're doing something repetitive like coloring something in, or in your case crocheting, sometimes you just need something exciting to keep your mind engaged.
Drawing without a movie on would be very quiet and weird.

Reaction score
I love to read books of a large variety. In our technology age there is just something so pure and relaxing feeling the weight of a good book in your hands. The repetition of turning the pages like a soundless lullaby. I just enjoy books so very much. My next favorite hobby would be video games. Yes, I am a total gamer, a book nerd, and a baker. Good times!

Reaction score
I love to read books of a large variety. In our technology age there is just something so pure and relaxing feeling the weight of a good book in your hands. The repetition of turning the pages like a soundless lullaby. I just enjoy books so very much. My next favorite hobby would be video games. Yes, I am a total gamer, a book nerd, and a baker. Good times!

I agree with you about reading. I used to read more when I had more free time and it's one of life's pleasures. I love video games, but I feel guilty when I play them because I always feel like I'm playing hooky from my responsibilities when I get sucked into a game.

Reaction score
I'm a writer and editor for fun and money. If I can ever get back to it, I scrapbook. I'm not all creative with it ... it's more about getting the pictures and stories down for me. If I had tons of money and tons of space I would just create and print photo books so I don't have to crop, tape down, write in longhand, etc.!

Ask a Question