how do you make bread

Reaction score
For years, I used to make bread by hand. I would let it rise, punch it down, roll it out etc which of course would take hours. Then I got smart and bought a bread machine about 10 years ago. Best investment I ever made. I absolutely love my bread machine. I can make 2 loaves of bread at the same time. I do also make breads and pizza crust in the machine but finish the product in the oven. How do you make bread, by hand or in a machine?

Reaction score
I still do my bread by hand but willing to buy a bread machine. However unsure about it's real value because those that I have seen are somewhat expensive and I fearing that bread could not be done the way I expect.

However after hearing your say about yours, I can see that these machines can really make easier having fresh homemade bread anytime of the day, what is not always possible when done by hand and still having to do other things around the house or having to work.

Reaction score
I will make my own french bread to make french bread pizza. Way better than the expensive store bought ones.

Reaction score
I have a bread machine, about 16 yrs old. Too loud!! LOL. It makes the bread taste "yeasty". I don't like it. Hand rolled for me would be the way to go, if I can get the experience in. Still not friends with yeast yet.

Reaction score
I make my own bread by hand. I think homemade bread taste better. I use a stand mixer and utensils. I measure all of the ingredients in a bowl. I knead and mix the ingredients together by hand.

Reaction score
For the beginners out there like myself, baking bread isn't as hard as it seems! It will take about 3 to 4 hours and the ingredients are easily found in your pantry. The following recipe is what I use:

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1-1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tbsp vegetable shortening
Preparation:
  • Add warm water, yeast, sugar, salt, shortening and mix until it has dissolved.
  • Add the milk and then the first two cups of flour. Keep adding the flour little by little.
  • Knead the dough on a floured board and then add small amounts of flour if needed, or until it becomes soft and smooth.
  • Butter a bowl, put the dough in and then cover to allow it to rise for about an hour.
  • Punch the dough and knead again. After, preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
  • Form the dough and put in a buttered bread pan. Cover it to let it rise for half an hour.
  • Add a few slashes on the top of the loaf and let it bake for 45 minutes or until it is golden brown,
  • Let it cool on a rack.
And, we're done!

Reaction score
I make bread by hand, like getting my hands "dirty" I find baking to be therapeutic. When I go in the kitchen with baking on my mind I plan to be in there all day, bread making me happy from beginning to end I enjoy the process although eating it is my favorite part. I would like to have homemade bread more often and so I wish I had a bread machine only for the sake of baking bread more often than I do now. I suppose that what I am trying to say is that I see a benefit from both methods.

Reaction score
For the beginners out there like myself, baking bread isn't as hard as it seems! It will take about 3 to 4 hours and the ingredients are easily found in your pantry.

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to give this a try when I have a few hours to kill. I wish I had seen this thread earlier this morning! I have some yeast but never got around to trying it. The yeast is probably too old to use by now, but I'll try and see!

Ask a Question