How do you store all your recipes?

Reaction score
I have to say that my recipes are not as organized as I would like for them to be at all.

I have a lot of them saved on my computer or in my Recipe Box at Allrecipes.com. I also have some that are printed out, ripped from magazines, written on note cards and more. Many of them are stuffed in various cookbooks that are on my shelf in my kitchen. I would love to get them more organized, so I'm glad you guys have so many great ideas...they might really help me out.

Reaction score
I don't even try to employ traditional methods of paper storing them because I always end up in the exact same kind of mess that you're describing, and that's not my preferred kind of chaos. Primarily I stick to online sources now- Pinterest has been great for that but I've also found WAY more recipes than I ever intended to...which is both a blessing and not so much depending on the day. I also like the idea of doing a few photo books for recipes...but I haven't tried that undertaking yet.

Reaction score
I have yet to find the best way for me... I have put most of them on my computer's thumb drive but then I can't always carry the laptop to the kitchen and when I do, I wonder where to put it because our kitchen is so small. As such, I find myself making notes every time I want to make something. Having them on index cards didn't work for me either though so I'm still searching for the best way for me.

Reaction score
I still have a draw with loads of scribblings on paper and my computer has many files of my recipes and notes. Although last year I finally got round to starting my own blog mainly for the purpose of storing my recipes in one central place and sharing with a few friends. Initially it was intended as quick access for me more than anything, but it grew from there into the blog that I am quite happy with. And now it is something of a hobby in its own right! But the addiction: most things I bake now get photographed and uploaded, recipes tweaked and uploaded etc..but it is great fun.

Reaction score
I'll be honest and tell you I keep my recipes in a black book. The black book must be vetted with any tried recipes that get the chance to go in it. I do ask friends and family to offer up their favorite, but sometimes they are just dire. Can't tell them that though.

Reaction score
Personally, I have a lot of different cook books that have been given to me as gifts. They are generally organized themselves by type (Cookies, cupcakes, recipes using Cool Whip, etc) but I know it's hard to organize recipes that are jumbled as seperate print-outs, clippings and loose papers. If you are feeling crafty you can gather these recipes in a similar way, like type of baked good or what the key ingredient is. Grouping them in this way will help you remember how you filed them and where to look for them again. Then you can make a sort of binder/scrap book project to either glue them to a page or put them under those clear plastic page protectors. Any stationary or office store will sell everything you need like sticky tabs for labeling, dividers, clear pages and big binders. That way if you're searching for a recipe you can flip to the tab you filed it under and find it quickly.

Reaction score
I've started only keeping them on my computer because I ran into the same problem you are having! I've stopped printing them out and either access them from my computer or my iPad. But, I do still have a binder with some of my favorites and a little recipe box to keep some in too. I do find that I usually just fall back on tried and true ones anyway. :)
I've also liked some pages on Facebook and if you share them they stay on your personal page so you can access them later. I have one for a crockpot roast (making it tonight) that I've saved that way and I've made it several times already! I got tired of having all the magazines and pieces of paper around..........hope you find something that works for you.

Reaction score
I tend to store mine the old fashioned way by writing them onto cards and then keeping them in an indexed box. I have stored some on the computer before but find it much easier to use the card method.

Reaction score
It seems like there's no "good" way that really works for everyone. I think we're all still struggling to figure this grand mystery out. Maybe it was easier in the past when all that existed was paper, who knows LOL

Reaction score
I had my favorite recipes scattered all over the place. Paper and electronic recipes in many different places. I have lost so many great recipes.

Now, I put all my recipes on Evernote. I use the free version. My recipes are forever protected. Evernote is so popular and I can't see it going out of business.

Reaction score
I had been keeping them in a sketchbook where I took the time to copy down recipes I found in print or online, so that I could have them all together and they wouldn't be loose or slide out, but I'm definitely going to be going the route of binder/page protector very shortly -- probably later this week when I get the time.

Reaction score
I used to write them down, but I never need to look at them. I have a really good memory when it comes to recipes, so I just remember things and don't bother to put them in writing anymore. I don't typically use measurements, either. I like to eyeball things; it makes things more interesting :).

Reaction score
Lol, Most of my recipies are bookmarked on my smartphone, never been one to tear recipes out of magazines or actually write them down on paper, when I do write them down it's usually as a note and also on my smartphone.

Reaction score
I don't at all haha, I usually look up recipes online and once I've made them once or twice, I tend to remember them. Sometimes, I might forget the odd thing about the recipe, so I'll go back and search online for where I found it. I have a playlist on Youtube which have some of my favorites on, so sometimes' I'll refer to that.

Reaction score
I use a ring binder as well to organize my recipes. It definitely keeps the pieces of paper and cut outs clean. What I do to keep it organized is I divided up sections such as sweet and savory, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and with desserts, I divide the binder into brownies, cakes, cheesecakes, and so on. I just use a Post-it to divide the binder. So far, it has worked for me!

Reaction score
I have lots of recipe books with favorites stuffed between pages. I also love the internet to find recipes. Pinterest is wonderful.

Reaction score
I have a couple of cookbooks that I use and a small recipe box that has recipes that friends and family have given me. But for the most part my recipes are now coming from online, and I just store them in a recipe file. I am planning on doing new files with designated names such as desserts, main dishes, ect. I like keeping them on my computer because it alphabetizes them as I save them and that helps me find what I am looking for.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do not have a very good method of organizing my recipes! I usually store random recipes by bookmarking them on my computer. I do not use recipes written on paper, because I tend to get them messy while I cook.

Reaction score
My recipes are lying all over the place, i know it's about time for me to get myself a binder and get them organized; i think this is something my daughter and i will be doing.

Ask a Question