Icing disaster

Reaction score
Hi to all! I just wanted to ask what the most common reason for the icing to look ''cut'' or ''cracked'' is. It happens sometimes when I make my own cream cheese icing, I cover the cake with it and then put it inside the fridge. Some hours later the icing looks like it has cracks! Doesn't happen everytime, but when it does :(

Reaction score
It sounds like your refrigerator is drying out the top layer of frosting, and perhaps your base isn't solid enough and allowing some subtle shifting to cause the cracks. I would have thought cream cheese frosting would have enough fat in it to keep it pliable, but you might try adding a bit more fat to your recipe, like vegetable shortening to keep it more moist. Also, use a sturdier base and check your refrigerator shelf with a level. If all else fails, dip a metal spatula in hot water, let the majority of the water drip off and gently press against the crack. This should rehydrate/melt the fat a little.

Reaction score
It sounds like your refrigerator is drying out the top layer of frosting, and perhaps your base isn't solid enough and allowing some subtle shifting to cause the cracks. I would have thought cream cheese frosting would have enough fat in it to keep it pliable, but you might try adding a bit more fat to your recipe, like vegetable shortening to keep it more moist. Also, use a sturdier base and check your refrigerator shelf with a level. If all else fails, dip a metal spatula in hot water, let the majority of the water drip off and gently press against the crack. This should rehydrate/melt the fat a little.

Thanks for the useful tip, you are always so helpful! I'll make sure to check the refrigerator self with a level as soon as I can, I don't need to feel like I'm gambling everytime I put a cake covered in homemade icing into the fridge :D Someone else had told me something similar, but I didn't think much about it. I was also told that maybe the cream cheese wasn't room temperature. I think I'll pay more attention to that next time.

Reaction score
Please do let me know if any of those tips do the trick! (Need plenty of data for my frosting book, you know.) ;)

Ask a Question