Looking for "breakfast bread" suggestions for sunday brunch

Discussion in 'Bread' started by MissDJ, May 1, 2013.

1. MissDJ

MissDJ Active Member

HI everyone! I'm in desperate need of inspiration. I'm having some friends over on Sunday for brunch and I'm looking for some new "breakfast breads" to add to the menu. I usually make banana nut bread, muffins (blueberry or apple-cinnamon), or cinnamon rolls. (Just reading that list makes me yawn...) I'd really like to step up my brunch game and add something new and exciting to my repertoire. Any recipe suggestions?

MissDJ, May 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. MissDJ

sking Active Member

You can try raisin bread mix with cinnamon. Or if you like cranberries you can try that bread it is quite tasty.

sking, May 2, 2013
    MissDJ likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MissDJ

Becky Administrator

How about something savoury like sundried tomato and herb bread? It's just so more-ish and scrummy! :)

Becky, May 3, 2013
    SmartPea85 and MissDJ like this.
  4. MissDJ

Suplex790 Well-Known Member

I think pumpkin and flaxseed works great for brown bread in the morning. I have made this twice before for breakfast and it made great toast.

Suplex790, May 5, 2013
  5. MissDJ

jennywren Well-Known Member

I have a mis-reading issue and thought, Why would she recommend something scummy?" lol

jennywren, May 6, 2013
  6. MissDJ

limcid Well-Known Member

How about getting creative with spreads and toppings? You could have a nice buffet-style layout of all sorts of homemade spreads and toppings.

limcid, May 10, 2013
  7. MissDJ

happy_tammy Member

Why don't you toast pieces of bread in different shapes and colors for a fresh look? I remember my mom used to do that in rainbow colors and in shapes like stars, hearts, and flowers. Have different choices of dips and spreads to match your toasted bread. I once was able to taste a spread that is made out of an eggplant and peanut and it was one of the best homemade spreads I have ever tasted! Be creative and wow your guests!

happy_tammy, May 14, 2013
  8. MissDJ

jeanne90 Active Member

How about pumpkin with cream cheese muffins or cranberry muffins? yummy...:)

jeanne90, May 16, 2013
    SmartPea85 and MissDJ like this.
  9. MissDJ

trefle77 Active Member

Whenever I have friends over for brunch, I make Madeleines for them. We usually have a variety of dishes and usually start off with milk tea and madeleines. They are really delicious too. I think I have perfected my madeleines after countless tries.

trefle77, Jun 4, 2013
  10. MissDJ

epliu Active Member

Scones are a personal favorite. You will need 5 tablespoons of very cold butter, cut in small chunks. Mix 2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and whisk together. Add the cold butter and work with your fingertips until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Make a well in the middle and add 1 cup of heavy cream. Fold everything to incorporate and make sure you don't overwork the dough. Roll out in 3/4 inch thick and brush the top with more heavy cream. Bake in a 400°F preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the scones are golden brown.

This is the base that I use. Sometimes I add some vanilla beans and the zest of 1-2 oranges. I have used chocolate chips; lemon zest; chopped walnuts: mixed berries; (if you will be using berries, make sure you add it with the flour mixture BEFORE you put in the heavy cream.) black currants; pistachios; macadamias; etc etc.

epliu, Jun 29, 2013
    Grinnie likes this.
  11. MissDJ

Mayvin Well-Known Member

These all sound like great ideas! Makes me want to go out a make some bread...that first list you mentioned you said makes you want to yawn, but that sounds pretty good, but I guess if you've made it alot it can get boring.

Mayvin, Jul 9, 2013
  12. MissDJ

JCase Member

I've tried an apricot, almond coconut bread. My first try didn't go so well but I'm determined to get it right. With a cream cheese glaze, I think it will be perfect for brunch during the summer months. My other go to summer bread is an orange, walnut prune bread. It gets positive comments but I'm like you, I'd rather branch out and try new things.

JCase, Jul 14, 2013
  13. MissDJ

justusforus Well-Known Member

How about some simple cornbread muffins with a whipped honey butter. They are a bit substantial but with the whipped butter I think they would be great any time of day.

justusforus, Oct 19, 2013
  14. MissDJ

jdp1986 Member

I love bread in general so I have an obscenely large folder of bread recipes, however for breakfast may I suggest blueberry cream cheese muffins, you could substitute any berry for the blue berries. I really like muffins with fruit in them for breakfast they just feel complete somehow, however I am also a fan of banana nut bread with honey butter sweet and simple but sense you're tired of it, how about the more complex flavor combination of orange glaze cranberry bread. Breakfast and bread were made for each other the options are endless so I will leave you with just one more, apple fritter pull part bread. ;)

jdp1986, Feb 27, 2014
  15. MissDJ

sweetkymom Well-Known Member

Lemon bread is delicious! Its very moist and really very inviting. Pumpkin bread is another delicious bread. Coffee cake bread is yummy as well.

sweetkymom, Jun 4, 2014
  16. MissDJ

NThomas Well-Known Member

What about a orange cranberry bread ? It is a little different but still tasty tangy and sweet.

NThomas, Jul 7, 2014
  17. MissDJ

kammy Well-Known Member

I don't have much experience in baking Zucchini bread but i have friends who have baked it and they say it's really great so you could consider giving it a try.

kammy, Dec 8, 2014
  18. MissDJ

Grinnie Member

My partner's bread speciality are these little savoury bread spirals. They are divine. He makes up a basic white bread dough and turns it into lots of long worms. Each one is topped with thinly sliced cooked sausage, lots of garlic, little drops of mayonnaise, little drops of sweet chilli sauce. Then you wrap the bread around itself so it comes up into a spiral and bake them until golden.

This is not a healthy option.

Grinnie, Dec 12, 2014
  19. MissDJ

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

I would go with pecan rolls or fresh made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting. There is nothing better in this world than a fresh hot roll.

Tina Nord, Dec 17, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question