Make boxed mix taste like a bakery's!!!!

Reaction score
So, I thought I had tov share this with you! I know, using boxed mixes is like cheating to some, but to me it is ok to use them from time to time ;) Specially after finding this! I definitely need to give this a try!!!!

cd2ed0b5ca77dd222126f51f6953d076.jpg

Reaction score
Bookmarking this - there's occasions where I would love to make something from scratch, but time is of the essence, and a box mix just has to do. The hardest thing for me with box mixes is knowing they don't have that same luxurious taste as home made baked goods do! This is going to be just brilliant for those occasions where you're pressed for time but still want the positives that come with home made. Whoever came up with this is a genius - really do appreciate you sharing it! You've made life a whole lot easier for me!

Reaction score
My same thoughts... exactly! Sometimes you just need an easy way out, but don't want beveryone to know the cake is a mix, so this hopefully helps! So far I have heard the butter does make a huge difference! You are welcome :) I knew I needed to share it with all you, because most of the ladies here are very busy moms :) If you ever try it let me know, I surely will soon and let you all know.

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, I'll have to try these little hacks and get back to you on that ;).
I don't necessarily think it's 'cheating' and even so, we could all use a cheat day every now and then, right?

Reaction score
I don't think it's cheating either, but you know some baking purists out there wouldn't quite agree, lol. Let's not care and enjoy, please let me know how itg goes, if I do it this week I will surely write a full report on this!

Reaction score
I like it. I don't care if it is cheating. I've actually done similar things in the past. There are times when I tried to make a particular flavor of cake, but if it wasn't turning out, I "cheated" and just added flavorings to a boxed cake mix. I don't even feel bad.

Some "purist" recipes make the cake have a texture that's more like cornbread, which I don't like. If I have to cheat to get the silky texture once in a while, so be it.

This is a great find. Thanks!

Reaction score
You are welcome :) I'm feel great now, lol, I wasn't hoping people would comment on this because I have noticed most people here seems to bake from scratch ;) But I do like to take a shortcut here and there from time to time ;) How do you usually get that silky texture, just curious? Is it mayo?

Reaction score
My mom has about 3 of the Cake Doctor books, which are filled with different recipes to make cake mix cakes taste more professional and unique. We use that for most of our special occasions. I think one of the main things that can elevate boxed cake is to make the frosting from scratch. Jarred frosting has such a distinctive taste and texture, and using real buttercream or cream cheese frosting will steal the show. No one will even notice that the cake came from a mix.

Reaction score
I thought I had responded to this already. Since I graduated from box cakes I have not bought one in months. I was thinking I would leave them behind and behave like one cocky pro making cakes from scratch. Thanks for reminding me of my humble beginnings. It's a great find.

Reaction score
You are welcome, Anne ;) And remember there is nothing wrong with using boxed cake mixes from time to time ;) Nothing wrong at all! I am actually dying to try this out, but this weekedn wasn't possible. I'd love to try this with a brownies mix!

Reaction score
My mom has about 3 of the Cake Doctor books, which are filled with different recipes to make cake mix cakes taste more professional and unique. We use that for most of our special occasions. I think one of the main things that can elevate boxed cake is to make the frosting from scratch. Jarred frosting has such a distinctive taste and texture, and using real buttercream or cream cheese frosting will steal the show. No one will even notice that the cake came from a mix.

I have thought of making the icing from scratch whebn I have made boxed cakes, but to be honest i wasn't feeling so motivated to do so. I will surely search for those books, I'd love to get more tips :) Because you never know when you might not be able to bake a cake from scratch and a boxed one can come in handy.

Reaction score
The last cake I made from a box that I remember being very good was a carrot cake. I was so impressed. However in the next few days if not today, I am planning on making a carrot cake from scratch. Still I will not turn my back on my box mixes. I checked the cupboard to be sure I had nothing and I came up with a pancake mix. We are not pancake people but I want to try a thing with it before it goes bad.

Reaction score
The last cake I made from a box that I remember being very good was a carrot cake. I was so impressed. However in the next few days if not today, I am planning on making a carrot cake from scratch. Still I will not turn my back on my box mixes. I checked the cupboard to be sure I had nothing and I came up with a pancake mix. We are not pancake people but I want to try a thing with it before it goes bad.

Pancake mix is good for so many things other than pancakes! Pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits (which opens up cobblers and pot pies), I've even seen donuts! Check the box, but it is probably generic "baking mix" (unless it says complete or just add water). Baking mix is just flour, baking powder, salt, fat (shortening, generally), and sugar. If you aren't a pancake fan, just google for recipes using baking mix or pancake mix and you are sure to find a way to use it before it goes bad!

Reaction score

Oh we always keep pancake mix around at home ;) That is something that should never be missing in our kitchen, because you never know when the craving will strike ;) At least that is how it is for us :p I have made carrot cake from scratch, just make sure to make your own cream cheese icing from scratch, you will love it :)

Ask a Question